Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect Vive HTC headset to iMac Pro

I'm trying to connect the VR headset Vive HTC to an iMac Pro. I'm using a thunderbolt to HDMI connector to connect the HDMI part and the USB ports to connect the USB portion. I try to configure the room using parallels in Windows 10 emulation but it can't seen to see the headset. When I'm in the OS X, I try to see what's connected using the About this Mac/system report settings but it doesn't seem to see either the USB or the HDMI/thunderbolt connection. Anyone done this? Any ideas??

Posted on Jan 15, 2018 5:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2018 2:06 PM

Got the iMac Pro working with Windows Mixed Reality today (in Boot Camp) WITHOUT AN EGPU. Also, finally got HTC Vive working on the iMac Pro in OS X. Erwan was right above, forget the HDMI adapters and just get an USB-C to HDMI cable (4k capable). I swapped out the expensive adapter for the cheap cable and everything worked like a dream. WHY DOESN'T APPLE TELL US THESE THINGS? That would have save so much time and money had there been a note to this effect somewhere. Anyway, it works now ;-)

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2018 2:06 PM in response to Les Cahan

Got the iMac Pro working with Windows Mixed Reality today (in Boot Camp) WITHOUT AN EGPU. Also, finally got HTC Vive working on the iMac Pro in OS X. Erwan was right above, forget the HDMI adapters and just get an USB-C to HDMI cable (4k capable). I swapped out the expensive adapter for the cheap cable and everything worked like a dream. WHY DOESN'T APPLE TELL US THESE THINGS? That would have save so much time and money had there been a note to this effect somewhere. Anyway, it works now ;-)

Jan 23, 2018 10:48 PM in response to CountryGirl56

The Problem is, apple delivers not optimised vega drivers for bootcamp and the performance in games is slow and choppy. Even my five year older iMac performes better in games. I asked the AMD-Support and they wrote, itś on apple to rewrite the drivers. I´m curious how long this takes. I´m very disappointed yet because of the bad performance. The Graphic-Engine in OSX Sierra is bad too atm. Even Heartstone stutters and i got a vega 64. apple should have done their homework before advertising the new imac for 3D-Headsets and games. It doesn´t nearly meet the expectations.

Jan 24, 2018 2:58 AM in response to mike1111mike

mike1111mike wrote:

apple should have done their homework before advertising the new imac for 3D-Headsets and games. It doesn´t nearly meet the expectations.

I don't remember Apple advertising the iMac Pro for gaming running Windows games in Boot Camp. I believe they advertised it as a gaming and VR platform for developers to write for. Not the same thing.

Jan 24, 2018 7:46 AM in response to CountryGirl56

Ok, you said: The machine is built to develop VR and games but to test them, you need to buy an additional high end pc? I can´t follow that logic behind. The imac is capable to run games in bootcamp smooth in high resolution, this is proofed by the custom drivers. But they cause other problems. So i think it´s only fair to ask apple for bootcamp drivers, which take good use of the graphic cards. It´s an expensive machine.

Feb 14, 2018 2:35 AM in response to Les Cahan

Hi Everyone,

I've spent hours/days trying to make my HTC vive working with the iMac Pro. I've tried USB-C to HDMI 2.0, USB-C to mini display-port....But nothing appears in the headset. The Headset is well recognized by the detectors as in Steam VR and in FCPX the 360 video are well responding to the headset motion via the monitor window, but no VIDEO inside the headset ! The headset get the green light...Is there anyone who succeed to have "in Mac OS X not Windows" to get the signal in the headset with the iMac Pro ? I didn't find people saying that is working, no video on youtube... IS IT A LIE that the iMac Pro is ready for VR ???? Thanks if you have any idea...

Feb 16, 2018 3:42 PM in response to rehctelf

Hello,

I've finally succeed to make the HTC VIVE works with the iMac Pro. The issue came from the HDMI adapter, you must have a USB-C HDMI cable (not adapter), this cable should be compatible 4K 60Hz (HDMI 2.0). Displayport cable doesn't work so don't invest in it. So you definitively don't need a eGPU box with the iMac Pro.

I've done a video on the setup (sorry it is in French but pictures are enough).

http://yakyakyak.fr/2018/02/yakseries-fcpx-10-4-11-installer-le-casque-htc-vive- sur-limac-pro/

Feb 16, 2018 3:47 PM in response to erwan_fr

Thanks for your help and thoughtful video. Hopefully in the days to come, more people will be getting this to work and we can begin to learn/explore VR on the iMac Pro. In learning about the upcoming Vive Pro, their website describes connections as " USB-C 3.0" so maybe no HDMI cable will be needed. Might just wait a bit longer

Connect Vive HTC headset to iMac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.