Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"usb server prevented updates being installed"

Hi,

I have a 2.8 Intel core i7 (mid 2011) with 4 GB 1333 MHz memory just updated to macOS High Sierra version 10.13.2.

The last two times I tried to update, i received a popup notification:

"USBserver" prevented updates being installed.

Click "Install" to complete the updates.

Why am I getting this message? And what do I need to do to fix it, if its a problem?

Thank you

iMac

Posted on Jan 15, 2018 9:35 PM

6 replies

Feb 10, 2018 12:59 PM in response to Sonigen

I was having this happen also. I figured out that when I set it to update "in an hour" and walked away from the computer, I would come back later to this error message. When I finally allowed it to update right then with me sitting there, I got a dialog box asking to make a choice. It installed the updates and then no more error message. I think now that when I wasn't there to make the choice, it couldn't move forward to complete the update.

Mar 3, 2018 7:07 AM in response to ruth27

I've tried several time to both let the system do an autoupdate in the evening and also to click to install at a precise moment, and both fail. My computer tried to restart and becomes stuck in restart mode, once overnight. I have to manually turn it off, then when it restarts, the update has not occurred and when the desktop appears, it has the same usb server error message as above.

I'm going to try to remove my Brother printer software from my computer and see if that helps. It seems like this is something Mac needs to fix since there are millions of Brother users overlapping with millions of Mac users.

"usb server prevented updates being installed"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.