Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FAT32 external drives not accepting files over 2GB

I recently upgraded from El Capitan 10.11.6 to MacOS High Sierra. I have a number of external drives which must be readable by Windows computers and Windows-compatible devices, such as most modern TVs; hence they have been formatted to FAT32.

However, I now find that none of the external drives in question will write any file over 2GB. The limit on FAT32 partitioned drives is well-known to be 4GB; why has High Sierra suddenly made it impossible to write anything over 2GB, and what can I do about this? (I assume the problem lies with the OS, as nothing else has been changed since the upgrade).

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), 3.3 GHz Intel Core 15

Posted on Jan 16, 2018 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2018 8:17 AM

You're welcome.

In the Terminal type cp followed by a space, then drag the file you want to copy into the Terminal window, then drag the volume you want to copy to into the window. Hit Return. It will take awhile and there's no feedback so wait for the Terminal prompt to reappear.

4 replies

FAT32 external drives not accepting files over 2GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.