Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

forgot log in on desktop e mac

I have a very old e mac using OSX- haven't switched it on in years it started up no problem. 🙂 However I have forgotten my log on password and cant get in at all. Any suggestions? I may have the original install software somewhere, but I dont want to wipe the computers content. I may have some family photos on there I dont want to lose. Thanks!🙂

null-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.0.x), OSX version?

Posted on Jan 16, 2018 8:59 AM

2 replies

Jan 16, 2018 4:16 PM in response to elainefromjohnstone

By use of the install restore DVD media, to start the Mac, you can choose to set a new password

for the admin user. Unless you set a Firmware Password that would lock the entire Mac. The eMac

may have shipped with Panther 10.3.x system, or maybe if newer a Tiger 10.4 system with discs.

If you can find the original install-restore DVD media with system or a later 10.5 installer disc

that could also start up the computer so the Utilities on the disc could be used to address

the already installed system, that would be a place to start.

So if you have an idea where they may be located, find them and then follow-up on this discussion.

There are keyboard shortcuts that are utilized on start up with the disc in the optical drive, so as

to hopefully change the admin user password. (There are other instructions online for older Mac

systems to do this; some aren't easy or require command line startup.)

Good luck & happy trails! 🙂

Jan 17, 2018 1:34 PM in response to elainefromjohnstone

There are a few links that discuss or describe how to re-set mac admin password,

with & without the system install-restore DVD media of the present running system.

{Note the link below from wisc.edu as it says a few things of importance; & is

likely an easier way if you can get original install series Install media. The later

10.5 installer may not work in old Panther or Jaguar systems; it's too new.}

Some of these I'd already bookmarked several years ago; and used a few back in

the day. Several of my Macs still run PPC processor (pre-intel G4) & am familiar...

Mac OS X (10.6 and before) - Resetting a Forgotten Account ...

This document explains how to reset a forgotten account password in Mac OS X

for ... to startup from a CD or DVD. ... System Administrator ...

User uploaded filehttps://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=3853

Five Ways to Reset a Lost Administrator Password - TidBITS

Five Ways to Reset a Lost Administrator Password... allowing the administrator pass

word to be reset by the Apple ID... how-tos/macbook-password-resetting-without ...

User uploaded filehttps://tidbits.com/article/14437

Reset a Lost Password in Mac OS X with a Boot Disk

Reset a Lost Password in Mac ... If you don't have a CD or DVD handy you

can still reset your ... Any other way of getting into my system, without ...

User uploaded fileosxdaily.com/2010/02/21/reset-a-lost-password-in-mac

{Of these ideas some involve use of 'Command Line' to back-door access Mac X

which can be similar to Terminal. Some aren't comfortable using Command Line.}

Other similar ideas appear in this type of search:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=reset+mac+admin+password+without+system+DVD&t=ffsb&ia=web

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

forgot log in on desktop e mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.