Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet recovery -2002f error

I have an iMac late 2013 series model A1418 (EMC 2638). I can't find out the operating sytem version without booting into MacOS, so I post it to this category.

The computer recently began to display a flashing exclamation point at startup, so I booted with Option key pressed and it offered internet recovery. After I click “internet recovery” it asks to choose a connection. However, after entering a correct password it either gets stuck with globe spinning for hours or displays a -2002f error after a while.

If you connect the computer with an Ethernet cable to the router it still asks for a Wi-Fi connection, and if you do not enter its credentials nothing happens for hours.

A Windows 8.1 laptop uses the Internet without problems both over Wi-Fi and Ethernet (with corresponding cable plugged into the same port of the router).

The router (TP-Link TL-WR840N) assigns dynamic IP addresses 192.168.0.x, with subnet-mask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway, DHCP-server and DNS-server all 192.168.0.1. So it is as simple as it can be.

Connecting the iMac to the internet provider directly – over Ethernet without router – does not help either. However, the provider requires a fixed IP address (10.180.21.76), 255.255.252.0 subnet mask and its own DNS server (192.168.248.21). So iMac may not be able to use this connection due to non-standard settings (you can't change the parameters).

Unfortunately, I have not made a boot disk previously.

Please let me know what other options I can try.

Thank you.

iMac, null

Posted on Jan 16, 2018 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2018 1:48 PM

I once also got a -2002U error.

The solution was as follows.

If you have DHCP enabled on your router, you should set DNS servers for it too (both of mine proved to be 0.0.0.0). So I changed them to Google ones (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as alternative) everywhere, and the connection went through.

When downloading the latest operating system (High Sierra) from Internet Recovery, I also encountered an error saying that there was no connection to Apple servers (something like lost or dropped). This is because by the time I started the Recovery, the system had already forgotten Wi-Fi password (that made me smile).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2018 1:48 PM in response to DVS75

I once also got a -2002U error.

The solution was as follows.

If you have DHCP enabled on your router, you should set DNS servers for it too (both of mine proved to be 0.0.0.0). So I changed them to Google ones (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as alternative) everywhere, and the connection went through.

When downloading the latest operating system (High Sierra) from Internet Recovery, I also encountered an error saying that there was no connection to Apple servers (something like lost or dropped). This is because by the time I started the Recovery, the system had already forgotten Wi-Fi password (that made me smile).

Internet recovery -2002f error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.