Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activate old iPhone without a sim card

I would like to use this old iPhone as an iPod but it is saying "SIM Required." Is there a way for me to activate it so I can just use it as an iPod? I want to use my interval timer apps at the gym. This was working without a SIM until recently. Not sure what happened, but now it's asking for one. I've tried iTunes.

Thank you for any help.

iPhone 5s

Posted on Jan 16, 2018 8:07 PM

11 replies

Jan 17, 2018 12:41 PM in response to D-Soup

Hello D-Soup,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that you are trying to activate your iPhone without a SIM to use it without service. You may need to install a SIM card in order to activate the device, after which point you can remove the SIM card and continue to use it as before. See this:

If your iPhone uses a SIM card, make sure that the SIM card is in your iPhone. Even without an active contract, your iPhone might need the SIM card to activate.

From this support article: If you can‘t activate your iPhone

Best regards.

Jan 22, 2018 3:28 PM in response to D-Soup

I have found in the past that it just needs a SIM card to Activate, it does not have to be a working SIM card or you can use the one that is currently in your working iPhone to Activate (if the same size) you did not mention the model and then once up and running switch it back to your main phone.

If you don't have a SIM card you can try to get one from your carrier. AT&T has been very helpful in the past when I needed to play with older iPhones. You can also pick up a SIM card from a drug store or dept store selling prepaid cards.

Jan 22, 2018 4:02 PM in response to D-Soup

D-Soup wrote:

That'd be nice. Yeah, maybe I can get over to the ATT store with it.

Thank you.

A lot of SIM cards come in a "breakaway" format where it should be compatible with either, like this one with nano/micro/full SIM perforations, like this one:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/good2go-mobile-9-99-3-in-1-sim-card-kit/6138906.p?s kuId=6138906

There are also nano-SIM to micro-SIM adapters.

Activate old iPhone without a sim card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.