Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn off autocomplete in Mail

Because of my work (real estate agent), I do a lot of email. Apple's Mail app works perfect with my agency's Microsoft Office suite. The problem I'm having is that every time I input an email address manually on my MacBook, it gets overwritten by a different email address from one of my address books from my iPhone. For example:

If I'm manually inputting "abc123@angelfire.com", a dropdown appears showing "angelfire@abc123.com" that I cannot get rid of. When I leave "abc123@angelfire.com" in the address box and click on subject or the message body, that address gets replaced with "angelfire@abc123.com". I'll then have to input "abc123@angelfire.com" multiple times before the autocomplete finally 'realizes' that I'm not stupidly inputting an incorrect email address.

How do I turn off this autocorrect/autocomplete/suggested emails option in Mac's mail app?

MACBOOK AIR (13-INCH, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Jan 17, 2018 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2018 4:37 PM

Hello, lordboone.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It's my understanding that you want to turn off the autocomplete in Mac Mail when composing a new email. The answer is no, but I may be able to help you with the incorrect email address always coming up. Check out these articles:

Mail for Mac: Delete old email addresses in Mail

Delete old email addresses

Mail keeps a list of your previous recipients and uses it to suggest or complete addresses for you when you send email. You can delete obsolete or incorrect addresses from the list in Mail, and use the list to quickly see or add people to the Contacts app.

1. In Mail, choose Window > Previous Recipients.

2. Do any of the following:

• Sort the list: Click a column header.

• Search for a name: Enter the name in the search field.

• Remove a name from the list: Select one or more names, then click Remove From List.

• Show a name in Contacts: Double-click any name that’s preceded by a card icon.

• Add a name to Contacts: Select a name, then click Add to Contacts.

Tip: If you use Smart Addresses, you can remove a recipient from the list when you address a message by clicking the arrow in the address.

If you use iCloud Contacts, your Previous Recipients list is available on your other Mac computers (with OS X v10.8 or later) and iOS devices (with iOS 6 or later) that have iCloud Contacts turned on.

iCloud: Remove email addresses of recent recipients

Mail keeps a record of the email addresses you send email to, and uses these recent recipients to suggest or complete addresses for you when you send new email. Using Mail on iCloud.com, you can delete obsolete or incorrect recent recipient addresses so iCloud Mail stops suggesting them.

1. Click the Compose button.

User uploaded file
  2. Type a recent recipient’s name or email address in the To field.

3. Move the pointer over the list that appears below the To field, then click the Remove button User uploaded file to the right of an address or group of addresses you want iCloud Mail to stop suggesting.

The list may also include email addresses from iCloud Contacts. To remove one of these, you must delete the contact.

You may also want to check to make sure that incorrect email address is not listed as a contact as well. Let me know if this helps.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2018 4:37 PM in response to lordboone

Hello, lordboone.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It's my understanding that you want to turn off the autocomplete in Mac Mail when composing a new email. The answer is no, but I may be able to help you with the incorrect email address always coming up. Check out these articles:

Mail for Mac: Delete old email addresses in Mail

Delete old email addresses

Mail keeps a list of your previous recipients and uses it to suggest or complete addresses for you when you send email. You can delete obsolete or incorrect addresses from the list in Mail, and use the list to quickly see or add people to the Contacts app.

1. In Mail, choose Window > Previous Recipients.

2. Do any of the following:

• Sort the list: Click a column header.

• Search for a name: Enter the name in the search field.

• Remove a name from the list: Select one or more names, then click Remove From List.

• Show a name in Contacts: Double-click any name that’s preceded by a card icon.

• Add a name to Contacts: Select a name, then click Add to Contacts.

Tip: If you use Smart Addresses, you can remove a recipient from the list when you address a message by clicking the arrow in the address.

If you use iCloud Contacts, your Previous Recipients list is available on your other Mac computers (with OS X v10.8 or later) and iOS devices (with iOS 6 or later) that have iCloud Contacts turned on.

iCloud: Remove email addresses of recent recipients

Mail keeps a record of the email addresses you send email to, and uses these recent recipients to suggest or complete addresses for you when you send new email. Using Mail on iCloud.com, you can delete obsolete or incorrect recent recipient addresses so iCloud Mail stops suggesting them.

1. Click the Compose button.

User uploaded file
  2. Type a recent recipient’s name or email address in the To field.

3. Move the pointer over the list that appears below the To field, then click the Remove button User uploaded file to the right of an address or group of addresses you want iCloud Mail to stop suggesting.

The list may also include email addresses from iCloud Contacts. To remove one of these, you must delete the contact.

You may also want to check to make sure that incorrect email address is not listed as a contact as well. Let me know if this helps.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

How to turn off autocomplete in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.