Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

32GB vs 128GB?

I am about to buy a new iPad and have been using 32GB. I mainly use for teaching and have a lot of music, but only need to put the music I need for classes on iPad while the bulk of my music library is on MacBook. Is there a benefit to spending a little more and get a lot more space on a new iPad? Any benefit other than the extra space?

Thanks.

iPad 2, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jan 17, 2018 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2018 3:07 PM

Also, look to Apple’s online refurbished store to see if you can save some cash on refurbished iPads.

Refurbished Apple products are treated as new and carry all of the warranties and quality control of new Apple product.

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Product stock varies daily.

9 replies

Jan 17, 2018 10:10 AM in response to stephanie-ccba

As someone who lived with a 16GB and then 32GB Mini 2, when I got a Mini 4 (where the only new configuration now is 128 GB) I'm just wondering how I lived without it. I've got every studio HD movie download (in iTunes) loaded on it, have loaded a ton of home movies on it, and have never run into a situation where I said to myself "I wish I had gotten more storage". If you're using it for watching movies or other stuff, you won't regret having more.

Another reason why I got it was that the 16GB Mini 2 had unrecoverable screen damage, and that was the week that Best Buy had the Mini 4 128GB (but not the 9.7" iPad) on sale for $299. It seemed like too good a deal to pass up. I know it's not the fastest machine out there, but for my purposes it's almost perfect.

I know there's no way to expand like with competing devices, but I've had issues with that before. I set up someone with a 64 GB micro-SD card, and there were a few times I was asked why photos were missing, or why it was asking to "format a new SD card". It wasn't too bad as long as I could handle it, but not everyone does simple things like powering down or reinstalling an SD card.

Jan 17, 2018 1:45 PM in response to stephanie-ccba

I am going to chime in here.

I am one that if you get a mobile device with more storage I use it!

So, get an iPad with as much storage as you think you can afford.

FYI,

A 32 GBs will only have a usable free data storage space of between 24-25 GBs (you need to maintain between 2.5-3.0 GBs of free data storage space for iOS to continue to operate at nominal performance.

If you are planning to use this iPad for personal use, also, I do not know what else you, normally, use an iPad for, but 25 GBs of data storage space, while 2-1/2 times the amount of a 16 Gbs Apple iDevice, can still be a slim amount of storage, if you do more with an iPad than just teach with it.

If you want to minimise how much you use your MacBook, you may want to consider an iPad with 128 GBs (approx. 116-118 GBs of usable storage).

32GB vs 128GB?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.