Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not getting HDR with long HDMI cable.

I have no problem enabling HDR If I connect the Apple TV 4K directly to the TV with a short cable.... If I put the Apple TV in the closet, with the rest of my A/V equipment, through the AV Receiver and using the cable that runs through the wall, I can only enable 4K SDR. The Sony Receiver is HDR compatible and the output setting is already on "Enhanced for 4K HDR"... the HDMI cables, which connect the Receiver and the TV to the ends of the cable inside the wall, are high speed 4K compatible... AND I'm already using an HDMI Signal Amplifier Booster (before I got it, I was not getting video from the Apple TV thorough the long cable, period).

Any ideas on how I can enable HDR?... Would a second Signal Amplifier, at the other end of the long cable inside the wall (the end near the TV) would do the trick?

Thank you for any help.

Apple TV, (4th Gen)

Posted on Jan 17, 2018 1:11 PM

5 replies

Jan 18, 2018 6:35 AM in response to qsszb

The TV is about 18 ft from the closet... but we bought the house when it was already built, so who knows how long is the cable inside the wall. It looks like a thicker cable than most, but I don't know the specs of it either. The cable was not run in a conduit... so replacing it is not an option.

At first, I was not getting any video from the Apple TV. After installing the Signal Booster at the Receiver's end of the cable, I got 4K SDR... That's why I was wondering, if installing a second Signal Booster at the other end (near the TV) would give me HDR.

Jan 18, 2018 7:28 AM in response to Alfonsopv

Is there any reason why you cant just but the box under the tv? the Apple TV is Wifi after all? Whats the reaso nfor the ectra long cable to reach a TV rather than not just having the box in the same room.

Without knowing the cable, bandwith etc I dont think its going to be easy to find out where the signal loss is happening. Also dont know how signal boosting works with HDR myself - it seems a little strange to place the reciever 18 foot away from the TV like that, given the Apple TV is a very small box; let alone the extra kit, upkeep and power to power boosters etc...

Not getting HDR with long HDMI cable.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.