Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse 2 Use While Charging?

I was wondering if theres anyone out there that knows any terminal commands that would disable the Mac disabling the mouse when its plugged in?

Example:

Magic Mouse 2 is already on. Then you plug it in via lighting to usb cable. The computer disables the mouse while its charging so you can't use it.

Is there a way to get around this?

The reason why I think there is, is because people have developed apps that basically go against the computers normal behavior. Such as Caffeine, which makes your mac stay awake, even if you close the lid, etc.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Jan 17, 2018 4:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2018 8:54 PM

I have been doing some testing:

It seems to me that it is NOT the computer telling it to shut off, it is the mouse.

The mouse seems to stop working when power is injected to the mouse.

So there must be some switch inside the mouse that deactivates the sensor when power is flowing into the device.

Because the mouse doesn't turn off or disconnect when plugged into the wall. It stays on and connected to the computer, just unresponsive to movement in the sensors field of vision.

"It takes only two or three minutes to charge it sufficiently for a day's work."

Do you know how you sound right now? When was the last time ANYONE remembered to charge their Magic Mouse? I can tell you right now that no matter how many times I tell myself "Man, I should really charge this mouse", I will never be diligent enough to do it before bed or when I leave the house.

Its simple laziness that everyone is guilty of.

On the other hand, what kind of psychopath is content when they are in the middle of the big project and their Magic Mouse dies on them? No one wants to stop what they are doing, plug their mouse in, and have to come back later. Even if its a few minutes, it will get you by that day. But what about the next day? You'll have to do the same thing again. Again. Again. It gets old. It won't stop until you go "Ok, Im leaving this plugged in overnight"

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2018 8:54 PM in response to iMaK18

I have been doing some testing:

It seems to me that it is NOT the computer telling it to shut off, it is the mouse.

The mouse seems to stop working when power is injected to the mouse.

So there must be some switch inside the mouse that deactivates the sensor when power is flowing into the device.

Because the mouse doesn't turn off or disconnect when plugged into the wall. It stays on and connected to the computer, just unresponsive to movement in the sensors field of vision.

"It takes only two or three minutes to charge it sufficiently for a day's work."

Do you know how you sound right now? When was the last time ANYONE remembered to charge their Magic Mouse? I can tell you right now that no matter how many times I tell myself "Man, I should really charge this mouse", I will never be diligent enough to do it before bed or when I leave the house.

Its simple laziness that everyone is guilty of.

On the other hand, what kind of psychopath is content when they are in the middle of the big project and their Magic Mouse dies on them? No one wants to stop what they are doing, plug their mouse in, and have to come back later. Even if its a few minutes, it will get you by that day. But what about the next day? You'll have to do the same thing again. Again. Again. It gets old. It won't stop until you go "Ok, Im leaving this plugged in overnight"

Jan 19, 2018 12:27 AM in response to iMaK18

You wrote ... "Do you know how you sound right now".

I know how you sound right now but what I wrote is what Apple has written. I'm not Apple, I am neither employed by them nor paid by them. Members who respond here are volunteer helpers, people like you (well, perhaps not exactly like you).

Finding a way to meet your needs is simply one of limited self organization.

At the first opportunity, charge the mouse to its maximum. At that point you know you have sufficient power for 6 weeks or more. Then put a memo into iCal to appear monthly and remind you to do an overnight charge that night. Then remove the prompts it continually gives you by pressing 'Snooze' until you have actually put it on charge.

Doesn't take the brains of a Gladstone to set that up.

Jan 19, 2018 7:30 AM in response to seventy one

Look, you are missing the point of this post.

The whole point of this post is to solve a problem, NOT solve simple MY problem, its to solve this problem for every mac user who has bought a mac post release of the Magic Mouse 2 and every use who has bought a magic mouse 2 standalone....which is in the high millions. If I was the only one that had beef with this mouse, your response would hold more weight and I would have to suck it up and be more organized. But thats not even close to how it is.

This post is also not necessary anymore. I answered my own question by doing some testing. I was just impatient when I posted this.

Magic Mouse 2 Use While Charging?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.