Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Metal support

I have a mid 2011 iMac 27" with this video card:

AMD Radeon HD 6970M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6970M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1 GB

Vendor: AMD (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x6720

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-C2960H-203

VBIOS Version: 113-C29608-103

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.560

Displays:

iMac:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 2560 x 1440

Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Connection Type: DisplayPort

Logged into World of Warcraft and got this message:

"Warning: Your current graphics API will not be supported in future versions of World of Warcraft, which will require DirectX 11 or Metal."

Now the Apple support has said that my computer does not currently support Metal but even more so, they can't even tell me if I can upgrade to a card that DOES support Metal. Am I stuck having to buy a new computer or can this computer be upgraded with a card that does support it?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jan 17, 2018 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2018 9:24 AM

Hi,

checked some time ago and it was possible, but was not suggested, because afaik you could only upgrade to the AMD Radeon HD 6970M card.

Suggestions in the net....

- sell mac and buy new one

- install bootcamp and use windows 10 on your iMac, as most of the gaming community suggested

- buy a windows 10 pc for gaming and use your imac for surfing in the internet

Only truth ...

Processing power (single task) stagnated in the last seven years. It makes zero sense to buy a new mac, as long as you have a box like core i7 3,4Ghz. Upgrading the Graphic card would be great, but even upgrading an old one with newer software would make ecologically sense.

Apple was once a great company, but I am afraid of the future, as the only things that seems to matter are iPhone and iPads ....

kind regards

Stefan

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2018 9:24 AM in response to Lord Elrond

Hi,

checked some time ago and it was possible, but was not suggested, because afaik you could only upgrade to the AMD Radeon HD 6970M card.

Suggestions in the net....

- sell mac and buy new one

- install bootcamp and use windows 10 on your iMac, as most of the gaming community suggested

- buy a windows 10 pc for gaming and use your imac for surfing in the internet

Only truth ...

Processing power (single task) stagnated in the last seven years. It makes zero sense to buy a new mac, as long as you have a box like core i7 3,4Ghz. Upgrading the Graphic card would be great, but even upgrading an old one with newer software would make ecologically sense.

Apple was once a great company, but I am afraid of the future, as the only things that seems to matter are iPhone and iPads ....

kind regards

Stefan

Metal support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.