Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ion-X glass on Apple Watch 3

Hi,

Does anyone know Apple has decided to use Ion-X glass on all Apple Watch 3 models? As far as I know (I may be mistaken), previous Apple Watch models had sapphire glass and Ion-X was used only for Sports model.
I wear my Apple Watch 3 for just 1 month yet, but they already had several minor scratches that could be seen only under specific angles and lightning, but they still irritated me a lot. Today I've got another set of scratches on my Watch when I've accidentally touched a tile for just a moment, but they look like a really awful result of purposeful contact with a piece of sandpaper or something like that.
Maybe I am being strict in my judgement, but I've been using G-shocks for previous 7 years that haven't suffered any glass scratches at all and I just can't understand how it is possible to use such awful glass in such pretty expensive product as Apple Watch.
I live in Cyprus right now, so there isn't even any way to reach official service centre or Geniuses in Apple Store to issue a glass replacement. I also see that there is no Apple Watch glass replacement coverage in basic Apple Care guarantee program and it isn't a cheap procedure. Apple Watch was one of the reasons I've decided to switch to iPhone from Android devices, but right now I feel terribly upset about buying this product at all (though it is definitely state-of-art gadget) ...

Apple Watch Series 3, null

Posted on Jan 18, 2018 1:03 AM

2 replies

Jan 18, 2018 2:05 AM in response to d.salnikov23

Hi

Ion-X glass

Yes - Apple Watch Series 3 models with aluminium cases have Ion-X glass. Series 3 models with stainless steel or ceramic cases (Edition models) have sapphire crystal, which is heavier than Ion-X glass, but more scratch resistant:

Apple Watch - Compare - Apple

Scratches

It is possible that you have only scratched through the fingerprint-resistant, oil repellent coating. It is normal for this coating to wear away under normal use, but it may have become scratched without damaging the screen beneath.

Unless the issue is due to a manufacturing defect, cosmetic damage - including scratches - is not covered under either Apple's Limited Warranty or AppleCare+.

Apple does not offer a screen repair or screen replacement service for Apple Watch and Apple Watch is not user-serviceable. The watch may instead be eligible for whole unit replacement via chargeable, out-of-warranty service.

If you wish to explore this option, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider in a country where service is available for Apple Watch in order to establish any available service options, likely timescales and cost:

Select your country for Apple Watch service and repair information

Note that, whether you have scratched the screen or not, Apple does not recommend using cleaning products or polishing or buffing the watch with abrasives; these will wear away the coating and may also (further) scratch the display.

A good quality screen protector (of the thin film type) may be effective in obscuring or reducing the visibility of the mark, as well as in providing some measure of protection against future damage.

Ion-X glass on Apple Watch 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.