Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad keeps blinking the Apple logo after a battery drain

Hi!

So, my iPad 2 had a battery drain and when I tried connecting it to the charger, the apple logo kept flashing and then turning off again. After a quick search, I saw that it did that after not powering down properly before the battery drain and that I should try the recovery mode with a computer and iTunes. Problem is, when I connect it to my computer, it doesn't do anything, it's like it's not connected, probably because it doesn't have enough battery for it to even turn on the recovery mode and the usb port doesn't put out enough power for it to charge. The only way I can enable it is when I have it on the power adapter. I tried connecting it with four different original iPad cables and nothing.

Is there any way for me to do the recovery thing on my computer?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 9.3.5

Posted on Jan 18, 2018 5:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2018 5:32 PM

Hey, Kath!

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I see that your iPad won't boot as expected, and in researching that found a suggestion to restore the iPad using iTunes. If I'm understanding, the issue now seems to be that you can't actually do the restore. When you plug the iPad into the computer, nothing happens. I'm happy to help!

Based on what you've described, it sounds like you need to place the iPad in recovery mode to initiate the restore. You can use the steps below from If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support to do that:

Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps, but don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo, wait until the connect to iTunes screen appears:
    • On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the connect to iTunes screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see connect to iTunes screen.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the connect to iTunes screen.
      User uploaded file
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits the connect to iTunes screen, let the download finish, then repeat step 3.
    User uploaded file
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.

Cheers!
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2018 5:32 PM in response to KathFF

Hey, Kath!

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I see that your iPad won't boot as expected, and in researching that found a suggestion to restore the iPad using iTunes. If I'm understanding, the issue now seems to be that you can't actually do the restore. When you plug the iPad into the computer, nothing happens. I'm happy to help!

Based on what you've described, it sounds like you need to place the iPad in recovery mode to initiate the restore. You can use the steps below from If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support to do that:

Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps, but don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo, wait until the connect to iTunes screen appears:
    • On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the connect to iTunes screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see connect to iTunes screen.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the connect to iTunes screen.
      User uploaded file
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits the connect to iTunes screen, let the download finish, then repeat step 3.
    User uploaded file
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.

Cheers!

Jan 23, 2018 11:53 AM in response to KathFF

Hey, Kath,

Thanks for the update!

Since you've done all that troubleshooting, including testing on two other computers, and the issue still persists, please reach out to Apple Support directly for additional assistance. You can do this by stopping into an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to meet with a Genius or Apple-certified technician (and you can find locations here: Apple - Find Locations ) or you can reach out to Apple via phone or chat here: Contact Apple Support .

Have a great day!

Jan 23, 2018 10:30 AM in response to CarlAVII

Hi, Allen!

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I managed to connect my iPad through DFU mode, but not the recovery mode. However, when I click to restore my iPad, it extracts the iOS and then goes to the "Waiting for iPad" message. After 10 minutes of this, it gives me the 'The iPad could not be restored. An unkown error occurred. (4005)'. I've tried re-installing my iTunes, did the reboot thing, also did the Apple Mobile Device Support repair thing on the Programs & Features, tried a different computer (both PC and a Mac), changed the usb ports, and still have that error. 😟

Thanks in advance!

iPad keeps blinking the Apple logo after a battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.