Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery percentage is wrong

Hello

I've an iPhone 6S, IOS 11.2.2, 16G.

I'm very careful with my battery. My phone is now 2 years old and last week i had my battery tested in a Switch Apple Centre and had strength of 83%.

That's weird because recently i've got a few problems with my battery. Normally i do 2 -3 days with a full battery, now suddenly not 1 day anymore. Then sometimes I've 30% and in 10sec it drops 20%, i restart and suddenly it's up to 50%, I leave it and it drops in a few minutes to 10%. Isn't that wrong? Also when he has less than 20%, the phone dies, I try to start it up and he starts up with 30%. It doesn't makes sense at all and i'm tired of it.

The problem started after i installed the IOS 11.2.2. I've put it back at it's factory settings but it had no effect. Resetting him doesn't work either.

What shall I do?

Please, i don't want a new phone. Accept from this problem, he always works perfect. And i take such good care of my battery.

Greets

Pam

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.2.2, 16G

Posted on Jan 18, 2018 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2018 11:12 AM

I have had a similar thing when looking at the percentage. Sometimes it will say 20%, plug it in and it instantly jumps to 35% or something.

I believe the battery percentage is a algorithm that works out based on usage and other factors. When mine started playing up I went through discharge cycle. If you use your battery until the phone turns off, and then turn the phone back on and keep doing that until the phone won't turn on anymore. Then do a full recharge. That recalibrated the battery percentage and its been stable ever since.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2018 11:12 AM in response to PandaPam

I have had a similar thing when looking at the percentage. Sometimes it will say 20%, plug it in and it instantly jumps to 35% or something.

I believe the battery percentage is a algorithm that works out based on usage and other factors. When mine started playing up I went through discharge cycle. If you use your battery until the phone turns off, and then turn the phone back on and keep doing that until the phone won't turn on anymore. Then do a full recharge. That recalibrated the battery percentage and its been stable ever since.

Jan 18, 2018 11:17 AM in response to qsszb

Hi

I did that a few day's back. So the battery was very low, i think it was 8% and i thought by my self, that cannot be. A few moments ago it was 20, so i restarted my phone. Then it was 18% again and i went on and on turning him of and on, till he won't start and stood on 1%. Then i plugged him in, and the problem was instantly back, because he restarted and he was at 12% again. :/

Is that right or did i something wrong with your instructions?

Thanks for the answer.

Greets

Pam

Jan 18, 2018 1:47 PM in response to PandaPam

What I did is use it until it power down itself, then keep turning on until it self powers down. When its not possible to turn on anymore (i.e. you get the empty battery picture) then plug in and leave it until its 100%. If you power when it says 1% and the battery is still has charge your not resetting anything. If its still saying 1% then its not shutting itself down.

Keep restarting when it powers off until you see a black scree with a battery on it and nothing else. then do a full charge, and leave the phone to charge overnight.

Battery percentage is wrong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.