Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove JS:Miner-C Trojan from MacBook Air

Hello, I've contracted JS:Miner-C on my MacBook Air, and can't seem to remove it. Can anyone help with the removal of this from my Mac?

I've Avast installed, but this only seems to detect it and doesn't remove the trojan.

If anyone can help me, I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks.

Posted on Jan 18, 2018 10:12 AM

13 replies

Jan 18, 2018 11:49 AM in response to 86T

Macs do not get infected with viruses. Malware, potentially, but not viruses. Avast may be giving you a "false positive."

However, if you are using Boot Camp with a version of Windows installed, it may be possible that that partition may be infected. Is this the case? If so, you would have to use a Windows-based solution to remove it.

Jan 18, 2018 12:17 PM in response to Tesserax

I installed Avast after the JS:miner showed up, so Its not a false detection. My girlfriend used a streaming website, then a new window popped up with a security alert. I thought avast could detect, and remove the problem. Plus anything else that mightve appeared after using the streaming site.

Avast isnt able to remove It, so ill try my local apple store and see if they can help. If they cant help, would resetting the mac to factory settings solve this issue?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Jan 18, 2018 1:26 PM in response to 86T

My girlfriend used a streaming website, then a new window popped up with a security alert.

Then it's not just likely, but a 100% certainty you have no such malware on your Mac.

All, repeat, ALL such messages on a web site, or popup from one telling you your computer is infected is pure BS.

There is no software in the world that can detect what is on the remote computer through a web browser. Any and all such messages are scams.

Jan 18, 2018 1:37 PM in response to Kurt Lang

I think theres some misunderstanding here.

To clarify, a pop up appearred from a streaming site with a security error mentioning the js:miner. I closed safari and thought nothing of it. The next day, I installed avast and it detected the js:miner. So its on my macbook somewhere, but avast cant remove it.

Safari also works really slowly in switching between tabs since this ended up on my macbook. Which also leads me to think that I cant simply ignore this issue.

If anyone has a solution for this problem, Id be extremely grateful. Like I said, this is a brand new macbook (less than a month old). So i want to get my macbook back to the state it was in before this happened.

Jan 18, 2018 6:00 PM in response to 86T

See if you can figure out from Avast where the offending file is located. Many apps these days are just WebKit apps (a stripped-down Safari). If the file turns out to be in the Instagram web cache, then you might be onto something. It could be a script on an Instagram site.

But regardless, such a script is only going to run while your web browser is active and on that site. Safari's Top Sites feature complicates this issue somewhat. I don't know anything about the Instagram app, but I highly doubt it would run Javascript while the app wasn't running and you weren't on that offending page.

But a really key issue here is that this is just a script. It may not be running on your machine at all - ever. Avast is just reporting the presence of the file. AV companies like to scan your whole disk and report only anything they find, anywhere, that could be a threat to someone, somewhere. That SPAM email you got 3 years ago and forgot to delete has a Windows virus attached. The only safe move is therefore to corrupt your mail database to keep you from accidentally forwarding that e-mail to your Windows friends and infecting them.

What they are doing is taking advantage of end-users' lack of knowledge about how different operating systems work. In most cases, just having files sitting on your disk is harmless - even if they are really malware! There has to be some specific way to trigger them so they can run. There are only a handful of Mac security apps that only look for those triggers instead of scanning your entire disk.

Jan 19, 2018 1:10 AM in response to etresoft

Thanks for taking the time to reply, its really appreciated.

I’m confused about the situation, as it made itself known after using the streaming site. But avast alerts me of its presence when i launch instagram. Unless, like you say, its attached itself to the instagram app somehow.

I understand its technically a dormant script unless i use the specific website thats its linked to. But id like to remove it as i dont want to see a contant treat notification when i use instagram on my macbook.

Ill take it to my local apple store and see if they can help me, or suggest something to remove it. Im curious, would resetting my macbook air to factory settings solve this problem for me? Ive not got very much on it at present, and have everything i do backed up already on external storage. So resetting it wouldnt be a huge deal for me to set in motion.

How to remove JS:Miner-C Trojan from MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.