Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro shuts down during login screen.

My MacBook Pro shuts down after I enter my password halfway through the loading screen. It’s a 2010. Holding shift when I restart won’t enter safe mode.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 18, 2018 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2018 6:57 PM

Hi Docilesheep,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that when you try to log in to your Mac it shuts down after you've entered your password, but before you're able to see your desktop. I also see that you've attempted to start your Mac in safe mode, but you've been unsuccessful. I can understand why you'd reach out for assistance with this and I'd like to help. I'd recommend using the steps below and testing to see if you can log in after each one.

First reset the NVRAM: How to reset NVRAM on your Mac

If your Mac continues to shut down when logging in, reset the System Management Controller: How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac

If you're still having trouble, use this guide to run First Aid via Disk Utility: Repair a disk
Restart normally and attempt logging in again.

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2018 6:57 PM in response to Docilesheep

Hi Docilesheep,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that when you try to log in to your Mac it shuts down after you've entered your password, but before you're able to see your desktop. I also see that you've attempted to start your Mac in safe mode, but you've been unsuccessful. I can understand why you'd reach out for assistance with this and I'd like to help. I'd recommend using the steps below and testing to see if you can log in after each one.

First reset the NVRAM: How to reset NVRAM on your Mac

If your Mac continues to shut down when logging in, reset the System Management Controller: How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac

If you're still having trouble, use this guide to run First Aid via Disk Utility: Repair a disk
Restart normally and attempt logging in again.

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

MacBook Pro shuts down during login screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.