Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal hard drive failing to mount during restart

I just purchased a used Mac Pro Mid 2012 12 core, currently running Sierra version 10.12.6., booted from and internal 512GB SSD, (Crucial SSD) mounted in the unused optical bay.

I have populated it with 4 internal hard drives, (three 4TB, (HGST hard drives) and one 6TB, (HGST hard drive.))

When I start the Mac Pro from a cold boot, all the drives mount. The issue is when I restart the Mac Pro, using the APPLE MENU restart option in the desktop, all but the 6TB hard drive mounts. I then have to completely shutdown the Mac Pro and boot from a cold boot, to get the 6TB hard drive to mount.

Any thoughts why this is happening?

Mac Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), null

Posted on Jan 19, 2018 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2018 3:56 PM

I have returned the hard drive to HGST for a replacement drive, and have also purchased a new 6TB drive from NewEgg. The new drive still doesn't mount during a "Restart" but that's OK, a cold boot work just fine.

I have till now, not had an HGST drive fail, but have had lots of other brands fail several times, (this is the reason I stay with HGST.) I'm sure other peoples experiences differs from mine, it's what I'm comfortable with.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2018 3:56 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I have returned the hard drive to HGST for a replacement drive, and have also purchased a new 6TB drive from NewEgg. The new drive still doesn't mount during a "Restart" but that's OK, a cold boot work just fine.

I have till now, not had an HGST drive fail, but have had lots of other brands fail several times, (this is the reason I stay with HGST.) I'm sure other peoples experiences differs from mine, it's what I'm comfortable with.

Jan 19, 2018 8:45 AM in response to kellyfromut

There are several threads mentioning this issue with certain very large drives.

When the Mac checks them, they may be showing as 'Not ready' and are not just left unmounted, but are not made available for MacOS to use at all. Readers have observed that when this happens, Disk Utility is unable to detect and mount the drive on command.

My theory is that some of these large drives do not spin down fast enough to actually be Ready after a Restart. The only work around I have seen is my own: Retrain yourself. Don't do a Restart, do a Shutdown-and-Start.

If your setup allows it, you could move that drive into an External enclosure, and see if you get different results.

Jan 21, 2018 7:56 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks for the help!

I did try reordering the drives in there respective drive bays, (in my Mac Pro Mid 2012) there are four drive bays, made no difference. The 6TB drive does mount from a cold boot and continues to function without issue while the mac is on, but if I perform a warm reboot, using the Finder "Restart" command, the issue with mounting that drive persists.

It seems there is an issue in the way the drive spins down during a warm reboot, as suggested earlier in this thread.

Thanks for trying to be of help, it is appreciated!!!

Jan 21, 2018 7:13 PM in response to kahjot

Actually this drive was originally in my Mac Pro 2006 running Mac OS 10.6.8 and you are correct, it didn’t have any issues mounting during a restart. I only saw this issue once I transferred the drive to my new/used Mac Pro 12 core running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6.

It would seem there may be an issue with the Mac OS!

Thanks for the observation, i’m Going to do some more tinkering an checkout some ideas.

Jan 22, 2018 9:15 AM in response to kahjot

I can run both Mac OS X 10.6.8, (Snow Leopard) and OS X 10.12.6, (Sierra) on my Mac Pro Mid 2012 and here is what I found:

Under Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, I can still do a restart from the Apple menu and the drive does mount, but when I switch to Mac OS X 10.12.6 Sierra, the drive will not mount using the "Restart" from the Apple Menu.

One other tidbit, is that when I run TechTool Pro version 7 in Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, the drives smart check shows the drive to be in perfect condition, (absolutely no issues, in the green in all areas) but when I run the smart check in TechTool Pro 9.6 under Mac OS X 10.12.6 Sierra, smart check shows that the drive is failing in two areas, "Current Pending Sector Count and "UnCorrectable Sector Count", I mean failing completely, not just a little bit, the bar graph shows it pined all the way to the right with red bars.

Something is definitely up with the Sierra. I haven't updated to High Sierra yet, but from what I've read, may not fix anything. This install of Sierra that I'm running is fresh, like 5 days old, so no corruption should be expected from long term use and TechTool Pro 9.6 shows the SSD boot drive and OS to be in perfect working order.

My other three 4TB drives, (made by HGST) smart check show all in the green, running under Sierra!

Jan 22, 2018 9:30 AM in response to kellyfromut

10.6.8 may have different amount of time from chime to looking at additional drives available. The traditional way to do this was to focus on the Boot drive ONLY, until the system was fully up and running. Only then did you look at the other drives and attempt to Mount them. Two things have changed since then.

The first is the addition of Fusion Drive. Now you may need a second physical drive sooner, to combine it with the boot drive to make a Fusion drive. So the timeframe for looking at what used to be strictly "secondary" drives has changed, because they may be more important early on.

The second is the use of Core Storage data structures, most often used for encrypted Volumes, but also allowing the use of Volumes than span physical drives. It is not unreasonable to think that today's MacOS would be looking at the drives much sooner than 10.6.8 would. And more time from chime to look at Drives means more likely to be Ready and to Mount.

Jan 22, 2018 9:50 AM in response to kellyfromut

SMART status was thought to be really interesting when it was introduced. But is started to become discredited because most drives showed "Verified" until they were dead.

Closer inspection of the individual Counters inside SMART status has shown that there is valuable information lurking there, especially in the two counters you cited, which indicate Bad Blocks are accumulating, and should be dealt with. It appears that Tech Tool has finally awakened to the fact that SMART consists of actionable information other than just "Verified".

If you can get it to tell you How Many blocks are in those two categories, you can better decide what to do about it.

--------

Drives have always been built with spare, unallocated blocks added on. These are only available as substitute blocks. The controller is perfectly capable of permanently substituting a spare for a block that has gone bad, but can only do so when new data are provided for the Bad Block, since the current contents of a Bad Block are unknowable -- it fails to read as good, even after error-correction. Everyone can understand that suddenly inserting a substitute block of Zeroes into one of your files is not the right thing to do.

For a handful of Bad Blocks, re-writing the file or rewriting the entire drive will fix the problem for a while. For hundreds, the drive has already passed its prime, and will likely continue to decline. It should be retired, or used as an secondary Backup.

Tech Tool Pro also contains a disk SCAN function, where it will go out and read every block (it takes many hours). If Bad Blocks are encountered, it will look up was show a list of what FILEs are involved, and list them for you. This can allow you to recover form a handful of Bad Blocks without having to completely ERASE and re-write the entire drive.

Jan 22, 2018 5:31 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

An additional wrinkle is that NAS drives seem especially likely to not mount on restart, but some non-NAS WD Black and some HGST helium drives also have been reported here to be problematic. I have an earlier 4TB WD Black that worked fine, but later models were reported here to not mount on restart.

But the 6TB Toshiba in my Mac Pro mounts correctly in Snow Leopard, Mavericks, Yosemite, and Sierra.

Jan 23, 2018 7:22 AM in response to kahjot

The drive came back with 32 bad sectors at the end of the surface scan and the upside is that no files had been written to any of the bad blocks. I check back on my purchase date for this particular drive and that was last September 18th, (making the drive 4 months old.) If Newegg isn't willing to replace the drive, then I will have to go through Western Digital's warranty department, which could take some time and shipping costs.

In the meantime, I guess I could try initializing the drive, zeroing out all of the sectors and allowing the drive controller to build a new bad block directory, not a perfect solution but one that has a small chance of success. But I would have to every few months check to see if any new bad blocks had developed, (Surface scan, a 10 hour process as it turns out.)

Jan 23, 2018 7:53 AM in response to kellyfromut

Apple software has always used 10 blocks as the maximum number of spares that could be substituted in one pass. However, that number has always seemed somewhat arbitrary to me, and another pass would often complete the sparing, making the drive 100 percent good again.

Google did a very large scale study on their server farms of consumer-grade drives. They found that once a drive accumulates more than a handful of errors, it will (on average) continue to accumulate errors so that it will be unusable in about six months of 24/7 operation, requiring replacement.

Feb 22, 2018 7:29 AM in response to kellyfromut

Here's and update on my situation.

I just received back a refurbished 6TB drive from HGST repair service and the interesting thing about the refurbished drive is that it now mounts every-time I use the Apple Menu "Restart" option, (the old drive would not mount). It would appear that HGST has fixed the issue with there drive not mounting on a mac with an SSD boot drive and the Apple menu option "Restart".

Thought you would all like to know!

The drive is the same model drive as the one that I sent back, (NAS.)

Internal hard drive failing to mount during restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.