Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

stolen iphone cops won't go to address

My grandson's iphone 8 plus was stolen after only 3 weeks at a church basketball event. We located it on the find my iphone app and could track it anytime it was turned on. (It's locked) The police, however will not go to the residence, however, saying that app could be wrong and the address could be a door up or down. He doesn't have insurance and is 17 and still in high school with a part time job. Help.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Jan 19, 2018 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2018 5:24 PM

Sorry, but it’s been posted here before. Police simply don’t consider a find my iPhone hit just cause to go to someone’s home, and no court will issue a warrant based on just that anyway, so they’d not be able to go in or do anything. The location is considered approximate, and tells nothing about whom there may actually posses the device giving the location data.

There really isnt isn’t anything anyone here can do, nor can you or your grandson really (Do Not go and confront anyone at the address yourself - you’d simply be opening yourself up to a world of possibke trouble).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2018 5:24 PM in response to lindro

Sorry, but it’s been posted here before. Police simply don’t consider a find my iPhone hit just cause to go to someone’s home, and no court will issue a warrant based on just that anyway, so they’d not be able to go in or do anything. The location is considered approximate, and tells nothing about whom there may actually posses the device giving the location data.

There really isnt isn’t anything anyone here can do, nor can you or your grandson really (Do Not go and confront anyone at the address yourself - you’d simply be opening yourself up to a world of possibke trouble).

Jan 19, 2018 3:09 PM in response to lindro

There is absolutely nothing that we can do for you. "Find my..." is good for a lost device, not a stolen device. What would you have the cops do? Tear apart the entire house, including every drawer in every bureau, slice open all pillows, etc., etc., to find where the phone is hidden?

Check his parents' homeowners insurance. That might cover it.

This is a big lesson in life for the boy. Next time, keep it more secure.

Jan 19, 2018 6:14 PM in response to lindro

You can use www.icloud.com to remote erase it to get rid of anything personal on it. BUT, leave it listed in the iCloud account’s tracked devices - as long as it‘s listed there, erased or not, activation lock remains in effect and stops anyone from activating and using it.

You can also report it to your carrier. In the USA, all carriers participate in a universal blacklisting service. That same blacklisting service is also used by Canadian carriers and most to all Mexican carriers now.

stolen iphone cops won't go to address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.