Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

delay before siri hears me

Whenever I try to use Siri or the talk to txt feature on the keyboard there is a lengthy delay before either start hearing me. In past when I would be connected to Bluetooth something similar would happen, but not to this extent. What should I do?

Posted on Jan 19, 2018 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2018 8:05 PM

I have tried all of the troubleshooting steps, the microphone works fine for voice memos, videos, calls, and there is no delay when I have my headphones plugged in. I’ve noticed it’s less of a consistent delay and more of a waiting for me to speak delay. So if I hold my home button to initiate Siri and say nothing, the audio line never triggers as if it were picking up outside noise. It’s not until I actually say a few words that the line starts moving as though it were picking up sound, which is very frustrating since it almost as if I have to say a couple random words before I can begin telling Siri what I actually want. Also I don’t believe it’s a connection issue as I have tried using it on multiple WiFi networks as well as cellular data, and as I stated before Siri works perfectly fine when I have my headphones plugged in.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2018 8:05 PM in response to raina_b22

I have tried all of the troubleshooting steps, the microphone works fine for voice memos, videos, calls, and there is no delay when I have my headphones plugged in. I’ve noticed it’s less of a consistent delay and more of a waiting for me to speak delay. So if I hold my home button to initiate Siri and say nothing, the audio line never triggers as if it were picking up outside noise. It’s not until I actually say a few words that the line starts moving as though it were picking up sound, which is very frustrating since it almost as if I have to say a couple random words before I can begin telling Siri what I actually want. Also I don’t believe it’s a connection issue as I have tried using it on multiple WiFi networks as well as cellular data, and as I stated before Siri works perfectly fine when I have my headphones plugged in.

Jan 20, 2018 11:50 AM in response to Mschmidt95

Hello Mschmidt95,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding that there is a long delay when trying to use Siri or dictation on your iPhone. I'm happy to help.

If you haven't already, try restarting your iPhone. Restarting can resolve many unexpected behaviors.
Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue persists, follow the steps in the link below to test the microphones:
Get help with the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Let us know if the behavior continues. Please include any additional troubleshooting steps you may have tried.

Have a great day!

Jan 24, 2018 9:47 AM in response to Mschmidt95

Mschmidt95,

Thank you for trying the suggested steps and following up. Next, reinstall the iOS using iTunes and see if the issue persists. This step can resolve possible software issues. When reinstalling iOS, iTunes will completely remove your current software and install a fresh version. While iTunes will try to do this without removing data, it's a good idea to make sure you have a recent backup before trying this step.
How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Use the steps in the link below to reinstall iOS with iTunes:
If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Cheers!

delay before siri hears me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.