Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID set up is impossible

Apple ID set up is impossible.

My daughter is trying to set up a new Apple ID for her new MacBook. BUT it is impossible!

She keeps getting this error message ssaying her ID is being used.. We tried ridiculous names for ID but get the same message. We tried via iTunes and App Store.

Via Safari it asks for an email address! Huh? Why would she create a Gmail address when she only wants to use iCloud?

I am nowhere near an Apple Store and my own iCloud address was set up years ago.

I have attached a screenshot of the message we get all the time (the xxx is simply an example for this screen shot).

How does this work? Thanks.

User uploaded file

Posted on Jan 20, 2018 2:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2018 4:54 PM

Thank you. So we need 'another' email. I was concerned that this other email would be the Apple 'handle' for iCloud; which to me sounds like an Apple ID. To me. 😕

The process below is not clear when trying to set up.

=

Create your Apple ID

You can create your Apple ID when you set up a new device or sign in to iTunes or iCloud for the first time. You can also go to the Apple ID site and select Create Your Apple ID.

Here's what you need:

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2018 4:54 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you. So we need 'another' email. I was concerned that this other email would be the Apple 'handle' for iCloud; which to me sounds like an Apple ID. To me. 😕

The process below is not clear when trying to set up.

=

Create your Apple ID

You can create your Apple ID when you set up a new device or sign in to iTunes or iCloud for the first time. You can also go to the Apple ID site and select Create Your Apple ID.

Here's what you need:

Jan 21, 2018 1:59 AM in response to Michael Vallance

I think you really make it difficult.

1. Create an Apple ID (you can use a computer browser to do that)

If you already have a valid e-mail address, you can use it.

If not, create a valid e-mail address. (Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, your Internet provider,....)

2. Fill in all the details like birthday, credit card,...

3. After you have successful created an Apple ID

4. Setup your Apple device (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch)

5. Sign in when asked your Apple ID (same e-mail address you used to create an Apple ID)

6. After you have setup an iPhone, go to

Settings > Accounts & Password > you should see under ACCOUNTS your iCloud account (or asked if you want one)

you can also add your e-mail account here (same as the Apple ID but as your real e-mail account).

Apple ID set up is impossible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.