Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme ethernet bridge

Can I use my Airport Extreme as an ethernet bridge.

I do not want the Airport to "extend my network" since that seems to make wifi unstable.

I only want the ethernet port to be enabled.

Thanks, M.

Posted on Jan 20, 2018 2:45 AM

11 replies

Jan 20, 2018 4:29 AM in response to Morten Nielsen2

Can I use my Airport Extreme as an ethernet bridge.

The Ethernet ports are enabled on the AirPort Extreme only if it is configured to "Extend a wireless network" that is being provided by another Apple AirPort router.

If you have another Apple AirPort router that is providing your "main" wireless network, and the AirPort Extreme is unstable, then we will need to do some troubleshooting on the AirPort Extreme that is extending the network.

Please post back to tell us what model of AirPort router is acting as your "main" router for the network.

Jan 21, 2018 1:17 AM in response to Bob Timmons

My setup is as follows:

Netgear CG3700EMR in bridge mode

AirPort Extreme (7.7.9) Internet: "dhcp", Wireless: "create a wireless network"/ 5GHz with separate name, Network: "dhcp and NAT".

AirPort Extreme (7.7.9) Internet: "dhcp", Wireless: "extend wireless network"/ 5GHz with separate name, Network: "off(bridge mode)".

Apart from 5GHz, nothing changed from default settings.

The AE's are both the newest edition, the tall model.

All units well inside range of each other.

Thanks

Jan 21, 2018 2:42 AM in response to Morten Nielsen2

Ok.. gotcha.. and sadly that is not available.

Apple for their own reasons made wireless bridge as a pure client exclusive to the airport express.

I suspect my unit cannot decide which network to connect to, the main unit or the “extender”.

If you connect by ethernet.. I don't understand why you are leaving wireless turned on..

If you have another client that is getting confused by the two wireless AP.. then my suggestion would be to mask the AE to the side the client lives on.. e.g... wrap the AE with a half cylinder of metal ..

Otherwise the only solution is to buy a proper wireless bridge.

Airport Extreme ethernet bridge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.