You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my macbook location can't be determined.

A few days ago I noticed that Location Services stopped working on my Macbook Pro. I go to the Maps app, Google maps in Safari, time zone in settings, etc. and all either report that location cannot be determined, or (in the case Google Maps) report my location is 20 miles west of where I am. I have two Macbook Pros on High Sierra: same issue. My wife's Mackbook Pro on Sierra has the same problem. All the location-related settings in Privacy and Date & Time are correct. Find My iPhone in iCloud sees my Macbook Pro, but says: Online, no location available. Siri says the same. Until a few days ago, this always worked perfectly: Maps, Google Map, and Find My iPhone could locate me perfectly. (All three register my location precisely on my iPhone and iPad, but not on computer here.) The service provider hasn't changed. What gives, and how to fix? Thanks....

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 20, 2018 10:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2018 11:43 PM

Open system preferences > date and time > time zone .

Set the time zone manually: Deselect “Set time zone automatically using current location,” click a location on the map, click the Closest City pop-up menu, then choose the city closest to your location.

You must have correct continent set .

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 20, 2018 11:43 PM in response to ahw-apple

Open system preferences > date and time > time zone .

Set the time zone manually: Deselect “Set time zone automatically using current location,” click a location on the map, click the Closest City pop-up menu, then choose the city closest to your location.

You must have correct continent set .

Feb 13, 2018 7:56 AM in response to ahw-apple

PS -- Go into iCloud in System Preferences and make sure that Find My Mac is checked. Mine used to be, but somehow the check mark disappeared, possibly when I recently upgraded to High Sierra, which wiped out numerous settings (another Apple irritation; they could at least warn us). Re-checking the box made the Macbook Pro findable again -- it was saying it was offline previously.

Jan 20, 2018 7:12 PM in response to ahw-apple

Location Services on your Mac uses WiFi access point (AP) locations to determine location through triangulation.

It doesn't need to connect to the AP, just needs to see it broadcasting. Apple may not know where you AP is located.

If the located WiFi access points that your Macs could see are no longer online, that may explain why you lost location services.

Feb 13, 2018 7:40 AM in response to mcjean53

Sort of. Find my iPhone on iCloud now locates one of my Macbooks, but not the other. (If iCloud can't find your Macbook Air, call Apple immediately, because this is a vital service you need.) Apple Maps -- an often irritatingly inaccurate program -- also finds whichever Macbook I'm using. Google Maps, which after years of pinpoint accuracy suddenly had my location wrong by 40 miles, is now mysteriously within one mile. There are so many variables -- Apple, Google, IPS, modem, router, triangulating towers -- that I've quit trying. (The two reply posts from 1/20 weren't helpful. The explanation about location services is circular: doesn't explain why Apple doesn't know my AP location. As for the other, about setting the time zone manually, that was my normal configuration. I've tried it both ways, manually and automatically, same results.) Good luck.

my macbook location can't be determined.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.