Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change Safari favorites page icons from generic letter to logo icons of the sites?

Using Safari 11.0.02 and need to know how to change icons on favorite page from generic capitol letters to logo from each web site.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Jan 20, 2018 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2018 3:51 PM

Nick A wrote:

For whatever reason some sites do not load thumbnails of their logo but use letters. I cannot find a way to change this behaviour unfortunately. I suppose it depends on the site and whether it has an icon to offer and whether it's something Safari thinks is usable.

This is correct. It's up to the website to provide the logo or icon for the bookmarks. If its not providing an image Safari can use, it defaults to the initials. There's no way to change this on this side. The icon must be linked to in the website code so Safari can use it.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2018 3:51 PM in response to Nick A

Nick A wrote:

For whatever reason some sites do not load thumbnails of their logo but use letters. I cannot find a way to change this behaviour unfortunately. I suppose it depends on the site and whether it has an icon to offer and whether it's something Safari thinks is usable.

This is correct. It's up to the website to provide the logo or icon for the bookmarks. If its not providing an image Safari can use, it defaults to the initials. There's no way to change this on this side. The icon must be linked to in the website code so Safari can use it.

Feb 24, 2018 9:07 AM in response to Eric Root

I believe I am having a similar issue, it is mostly cosmetic but in my favorites bar drop down lists, all of my favorites only show a blue globe icon at startup. When I select a favorite the web site logo appears but if I shutdown and restart the computer I'm back to blue globes. This happens on my MBP and MacMini. I'm using Safari 11.0.2.

The Chrome browser retains the web site logos so this seems to be a Safari issue.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

How do I change Safari favorites page icons from generic letter to logo icons of the sites?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.