Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen iPhone- can thief steal my data?

My iPhone is password locked and I used find my iPhone to erase phone when it is turned on- currently offline. Could the thief turn on my iPhone in an area such as basement where there is no cell service and network connection, thereby negating the erase my iPhone? Could they then connect it to a computer as an external drive to steal my data? Thanks

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Jan 20, 2018 11:56 AM

7 replies

Jan 20, 2018 12:16 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks. But I have find my iPhone on. However in order to notify iPhone to erase it must have some sort of connection.

In find my iPhone the iPhone says currently offline and the erase is currently pending.

If they turn the iPhone on in a area that is devoid of any connections could that circumvent the erase my iPhone and therefore they could steal my data?

Thanks

Feb 5, 2018 7:09 AM in response to Twangg

I recently lost my iPad and wonder the same thing. I had find my iPhone on the iPad turned on and it has not been online since then. I too wonder if they can turn it on and access data. I recently connected my iPhone 7 Plus to both my MacBook Pro and my PC. In both cases there was a pop up that required input before a connection could be made. I believe if they could connect either an iPhone or iPad some level of authorization would be necessary.

What I cannot understand is considering the high cost of Apple products why in the world don’t they maintain a database that would allow for the registration of an Apple device that was lost or stolen and is accessible by everyone to see. If just the product model number and serial number we visible and there were an option to report you found it or have it they might be returned. The owner could even post that they are offering a reward for its return thus encouraging a person to return it. It would be a positive marketing tool and would further brand loyalty. Instead, Apple gladly takes our money and then says sorry, can’t help you. The only issue with my idea is how do you obtain the model and serial number if you can’t get past the password. Oh well. I’m out a $700 iPad and Apple got to collect another $1200 for an iPad Pro. No wonder their the king of worldwide capitalism.

Feb 5, 2018 9:54 AM in response to JDay59

Very sorry to hear of your loss, however this is not a Apple issue. Call your cell provider they will have the phone’s IMEI and serial number, and the ability to lockdown a stolen phone. When locked down that phone’s IMEI number cannot be used for cell service any place in the world. Again, this is the responsibility of your carrier, not Apple; Apple makes phones carriers put them on their network.

Regardless of how strongly you think it is Apple’s responsibility, it is your carrier.

Stolen iPhone- can thief steal my data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.