Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac photos app crashes

I have a MacBook Pro Retina 2015 and since I edit a portrait photo that I took in iPhone X using the Photos app in my MacBook Pro it always crashes every time I'm opening it. I've already tried repairing it by holding Command + Option keys while opening it but it still doesn't work. I have also tried shutting it down and restarting my Mac but it still doesn't work. What can I do to fix it?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra v10.13.2

Posted on Jan 21, 2018 2:29 AM

4 replies

Jan 21, 2018 5:25 AM in response to AJ Matheson

That is a good work-around with the ’Most Compatible’ setting, but has the drawback, that the photos imported from the iPhone X will need twice the storage, because they will be converted from HEIF to JPEG.

A Mac with macOS 10.13.2 High Sierra should not crash on HEIF photos, it is supposed to be compatible (Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support). Only Macs with Sierra or an older system should need the conversion, but they should not crash either, just give a warning.

mac photos app crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.