Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra APFS -- please explain this

after noticing a few weird behaviors following the 13.2 mini update I see the following result after running first aid in disk utility:

"....

Checking snapshot 5 of 5.

warning: apfs_num_other_fsobjects (74) is not valid (76)

Verifying allocated space.

The volume /dev/rdisk3s1 appears to be OK.

File system check exit code is 0

Restoring the original state found as mounted.

Operation successful......"

Can someone explain the warning statement to me as wells as its implications in regards to the health of my HD?

Thank you in advance!

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Jan 21, 2018 6:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2018 8:14 PM

Well, I know little about the innards of APFS, but if ran First Aid from the startup volume, then the drive is set to read-only so fixes cannot be written to the disk. If you ran First Aid from the Recovery HD, the error should be repaired. Possibly the repair requires a restart. Or possibly the error isn't repaired because it doesn't require a repair. I can't really tell you what APFS does when it fixes something. I expect a result similar to what happens with HFS+. Namely, I may well be wrong.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2018 8:14 PM in response to jsalino

Well, I know little about the innards of APFS, but if ran First Aid from the startup volume, then the drive is set to read-only so fixes cannot be written to the disk. If you ran First Aid from the Recovery HD, the error should be repaired. Possibly the repair requires a restart. Or possibly the error isn't repaired because it doesn't require a repair. I can't really tell you what APFS does when it fixes something. I expect a result similar to what happens with HFS+. Namely, I may well be wrong.

Jan 21, 2018 7:59 PM in response to Kappy

HI! Thank you so much for replying. This leads me to a second question.

You said: The error means that according to the disk's data there should be a count of 74, not 76. Disk Utility has repaired the error. The disk is OK

If thats the case wouldn't re-running disk utility a second time make that error message go away?

In my case it has not.

Again thanks so much. (Reading the links you sent now).

High Sierra APFS -- please explain this

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.