Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"This Mac does not support Boot Camp"

I recently migrated an SSD to my Mac Pro 5,1 (2012 2x2.66).

I was hoping to repartition and use the SSD without wiping it so I took some steps to convert the drive to GPT and used Gparted to create a second partition for OSX. While successful, I realized the structure was not standard for OSX nor did windows appear to allow for an install on my second partition. Therefore, I decided I wiped the entire disk clean and start new as a standard hfs+.

I proceeded to install High Sierra on it. Upon completion, the installer automatically updated my hard drive to APFS. I immediately proceeded to open Boot Camp Setup Assistant to arrive at this error:

"Boot Camp Assistant cannot be used"

"This mac does not support Boot Camp. "

I have tried resetting NVRAM using "nvram -c" from terminal. After rebooting, the same error occurs. I have also not found success using "Apple+option+p+r" on neither a wireless apple keyboard nor a generic usb keyboard; I never hear the second chime and it seems as though the computer ignores my input.

Can I bypass this error message by modifying an internal plist file? I am also aiming to install windows 7 on this machine, do I need an older version of bootcamp? May I also mention my boot disk is in bay #2. I have attached a gdisk reading as follows:

Maxs-Mac-Pro:~ max$ sudo gdisk -l /dev/disk1

GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.3

Partition table scan:

MBR: protective

BSD: not present

APM: not present

GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Disk /dev/disk1: 234441648 sectors, 111.8 GiB

Sector size (logical): 512 bytes

Disk identifier (GUID): 553449AD-368B-4550-B25D-AB1505536375

Partition table holds up to 128 entries

Main partition table begins at sector 2 and ends at sector 33

First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 234441614

Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries

Total free space is 13 sectors (6.5 KiB)

Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name

1 40 409639 200.0 MiB EF00 EFI System Partition

2 409640 234441607 111.6 GiB FFFF

Maxs-Mac-Pro:~ max$

Max

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), Mid 2012

Posted on Jan 21, 2018 10:17 PM

14 replies

Jan 22, 2018 4:29 PM in response to Mad Maxx

I was able to get ahold of an earlier version of bootcamp (5.1.2) and it launched without error. The problem is that it doesn't properly recognize the volume. I suppose if I just buy another SSD I can choose/format that disk instead. However, that seems like a workaround to the problem I'm experiencing and I would rather correct the issue and dual-boot, if possible.

User uploaded file

Jan 21, 2018 10:34 PM in response to Mad Maxx

Can you run a SMC Reset - How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support ?

Also, is there is a reason for the current GPT2 entry? Are you planning to dedicate this disk to W7?

High Sierra will support W7 on your MP. A 2012 model supports using a USB installer built by BC assistant and a W7 ISO using the Create and Download options. Please see Install Windows 7 on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support, especially step 11.

Jan 21, 2018 10:51 PM in response to Loner T

I ran the SMC reset. I also rearranged hard drives so that the SSD is in "Bay 1". The system still chooses my boot volume to be disk1 with a different drive as disk0. Still cant get the utility to launch with the same error.

I intend to use the disk for both MacOS and W7; it's the only flash drive I have available so a dual-boot would be ideal (also to use with Vmware).

As far as the GPT entry, I'm not sure; I was trying to reformat the disk and install OSX without erasing it. I was successful using all those tools but in the end I erased the entire disk. I thought erasing the disk in recovery mode and formatting it using default settings would be sufficient. Since I did that and reinstalled installed MacOS, I have not touched the partition's settings.

I attached a paste bin of "diskutill cs list" as well.

https://pastebin.com/RMSS4g4q

Jan 23, 2018 7:01 PM in response to Mad Maxx

Mad Maxx wrote:

I intend to use the disk for both MacOS and W7; it's the only flash drive I have available so a dual-boot would be ideal (also to use with Vmware).

Remove all other disks physically from the MP drive bays till Windows is fully installed. Install macOS 10.13.2, if you have not already done so. Once it is installed, run a SMC and NVRAM reset, and then start BC Assistant. If you do not get any errors, partition the SSD and install W7 using the steps in the linked article. Once you have both macOS and W7 fully functional, then add the other physical drives into the MP disk bays.

Tower MPs cannot have any additional disks in drive bays, which do not participate in Windows installation. This implies that you can have one, or at the most two disks in the MP at the time of Windows installation. If you have two disks, one of them should be fully dedicated to Windows.

Jan 23, 2018 7:09 PM in response to Loner T

Turns out the machine's NVRAM was never reset. Nvram -c did nothing (odd) and neither my magic wireless nor non-mac wired keyboard were working.

However, I didn't realize that bootcamp is compatible with multiple internal drives so I went ahead and ordered a drive to dedicate to windows.

The reason I prefer using bootcamp to a manual self-partitioned disk is Bootcamp's "Add existing machine" compatibility with Vmware, where I'm able to make edits within OSX but still boot fully for full power.

Thanks for the help

"This Mac does not support Boot Camp"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.