Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

open docx in pages

I receive emails with docx files in them. I cannot open them in 'Pages'. Is there a way to do this so that I might print and/or edit them?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12.6), pages 6.3.1

Posted on Jan 22, 2018 8:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2018 10:15 AM

When you see the .docx icon attached in the Apple Mail body, there are two choices for opening it in Pages v6.3.1:

• Double-click the attachment icon.
  • Two finger tap. The secondary menu that appears has Open with, and the top item is Pages. This will open the .docx in Pages v6.3.1.
7 replies

Jan 22, 2018 9:09 AM in response to deborafromhillsboro

What is the origin of the .docx file?

Do you know what version of Word (if it was Word) created it? Mac or PC?

What version of Pages are you using to open the files and what happens when you try to open the files?

We can not see what you see. You have to tell us.

There is no harm in DLing and using LibreOffice, it is the most compatible App if you do not have Word for Mac.

Pages is not a Word clone, it merely converts any files it can open to its own format.

Peter

Jan 22, 2018 9:52 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thank you Peter.

I don't know what version of word and if it was on a mac or pc.

I am using Pages 6.3.1. Sorry I didn't include that info in the original question. I thought that the drop down menu info I provided would also be available for anyone who might respond to my inquiry.

When I try to open the docx file, Pages tells me that it cannot read the file.

This is not a matter of life-or-death, I'm mostly curious because I'm surprised that it doesn't recognize docx. And, it would be nice to click links/emails in the doc without having to download more software that I will only use on rare occasions. (I'm a simple gal that likes all simple solutions)

open docx in pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.