Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

User Name or Password incorrect "imap.aol.com"

I am unable to send emails from my iPhone using my AOL account. This happened once before but after deleting the email account and then adding it worked again. Sadly this has happened again I’ve deleted the account and I am unable to add any AOL email accounts back on my iphone. Why does this keep happening with AOL accounts is iPhone incompatible with them? I’ve now given up and download the AOL app to access my emails.

iPhone 7

Posted on Jan 22, 2018 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2018 7:42 AM

If you have success adding the account back onto the phone, the next time that happens, try this.

Settings>Accounts & Passwords>Accounts>Your email account>Account>Outgoing mail server - tap the server name next to SMTP and check in the primary server and make sure your username and password are entered and correct - even if it says that the password is optional.

I have two AOL accounts on my iPhone and iPad that work fine, so it is not a matter of incompatibility.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2018 7:42 AM in response to Kalwillow

If you have success adding the account back onto the phone, the next time that happens, try this.

Settings>Accounts & Passwords>Accounts>Your email account>Account>Outgoing mail server - tap the server name next to SMTP and check in the primary server and make sure your username and password are entered and correct - even if it says that the password is optional.

I have two AOL accounts on my iPhone and iPad that work fine, so it is not a matter of incompatibility.

Jan 23, 2018 7:37 AM in response to Kalwillow

Hello Kalwillow,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you've had some trouble with your AOL email account on your iPhone, and I have some information that may help.

You've done some great troubleshooting so far. Have a look at the article below for some additional troubleshooting steps.

If you can’t send or receive emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you run into any trouble, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

Jan 25, 2018 2:44 AM in response to Demo

The main problem is getting the AOL email back on the phone which is not happening - as stated this has happened before and I deleted account and reinstated with no problem -thank you for your comments but I have tried everything you have mentioned, as have colleagues at work - there does appear to be an underlining issue with AOL and iPhone - my family have iPhones and are not with AOL, they have no issues.

Jan 25, 2018 2:55 AM in response to Kalwillow

Hi there,

Be sure to check each account listed thoroughly

Go to settings - Accounts and Passwords- start with icloud account and check each setting within

Your aol settings may very well be combined with your icloud or another account. I know this has been occurring with aol and Yahoo specifically for some time.

Also, sometimes it will oddly guide you back to iMessage and FaceTime to change settings there too, as your icloud acct email or another may also be listed under "send and receive" which will cause issues.

If so, be sure to deselect the additional email and only leave your Apple ID selected

User Name or Password incorrect "imap.aol.com"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.