Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch - Erase All Content and Settings

1. Will workout information still be showing in the Activity app on my iPhone?
  2. When I repair my Apple Watch and iPhone together, will the workout detail reappear on my Apple Watch?

watchOS 4.2

Posted on Jan 23, 2018 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2018 12:06 PM

You're welcome!

They are the same, except that, when unpairing via the Watch app (which is the recommended process):

• A fresh backup is made of your Apple Watch on your iPhone before your Apple Watch is erased, which then removes all contents and settings.
  • Activation Lock is also removed from your Apple Watch, which would leave it ready for a new user to set up as their own.

More information:

About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2018 12:06 PM in response to tomaubhill

You're welcome!

They are the same, except that, when unpairing via the Watch app (which is the recommended process):

• A fresh backup is made of your Apple Watch on your iPhone before your Apple Watch is erased, which then removes all contents and settings.
  • Activation Lock is also removed from your Apple Watch, which would leave it ready for a new user to set up as their own.

More information:

About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Jan 23, 2018 11:13 AM in response to tomaubhill

Hi

Historic Health and Activity data is stored on your paired iPhone, not on your Apple Watch.

If you erase your Apple Watch (such as by unpairing it via the Watch app, which includes syncing the latest Activity data and making a fresh backup of your Apple Watch on your iPhone) and then re-pair it, your historic data on your iPhone will not be affected.

If you plan to erase your iPhone, then, in order to retain your historic Health and Activity data, make an encrypted backup of your iPhone first and then restore it from that backup afterwards.

More information:

Unpair your Apple Watch and iPhone - Apple Support

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Apple Watch - Erase All Content and Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.