Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it just me, or is autocorrect and voice dictation getting worse?

Lately I've noticed that voice dictation and autocorrect when typing on my phone and iPad are starting to get less accurate and less "intelligent." These are some examples:

1. Random capital letters have started appearing in sentences that I type on my iPhone (SE, iOS11.2.5) Sometimes this will happen mid-sentence for no even vaguely understandable reason (I type "the time has come" and that "corrects" to "The Time has come") which is extremely frustrating as by the time I see what has happened, I can't go back and retrieve the non-capitalised word without faffing around with the cursor.

2. Autocorrect also inserts strange names into my sentences. For example I type "whats" in the hope that an apostrophe will make it "what's" and I get the name "Wjats" instead, with a capital "W" And no, I don't know anyone with that name and have never typed it in before on any of my devices. To clarify, this causes autocorrect to make sentences that make no sense, like "Wjats the story?"

3. Then there's the "what does this mean?" problem: my phone seems to think it has a better handle on what I'm trying to say than I do, and suddenly substitutes what I've typed in for another set of words completely. There are examples of this in another discussion (link below) from other users.

4. "It's" versus "its" is a fraught enough grammatical debate, I know, but this kind of intervention is supremely unhelpful. When it "autocorrects" to the version I don't want (adding an apostrophe when I don't want one - fair enough) it gives me the option to change that to.... oh.... to exactly the same thing??!!

User uploaded file

This is a new development. In the past, whether you were offered "its" or "it's", the alternative appeared if you went back to it. Now it's offering exactly the same thing. It's the same story with "ill" and "I'll" - the alternative is exactly the same. Why are we going backwards here?

5. A close friend was a very heavy user of dictation (iPhone 6S, iOS11.2.2), but has given up totally on it now as it just gets worse and worse, totally mangling sentences and making proof-reading essential - thereby removing a key benefit of using dictation in the first place (if you have to read it through carefully to check it, you might as well type it in - it saves no time.) I know that there are a number of other factors that could be causing a dictation problem, but for sure there were definitely far fewer problems with it a couple of years ago.

All these individual issues would be annoying on their own, but together they start to be a real problem and a source of endless frustration for iPhone users. And to cap it all, with each new version of Apple's iOS they really do seem to be getting worse, not better. Which is so unbelievably frustrating. Having been an iPhone loyalist from the start (well, the 3GS ;-)) I have now started to wonder if it's really worth persevering. Another friend recently was thinking of migrating from a Samsung Android phone to an iPhone, and asked me my opinion. For the first time ever I found myself hesitating, and suggesting that actually he might be better off sticking to what he knows works.

If I was the only one experiencing this then I'd understand, but if you look at the tone of voice of some of the people who have ended up posting recently on this forum:

Re: Is it just me or is voice to text getting worse? then you will see that I'm not alone in being extremely frustrated by this. I know that this discussion is in the wrong place, and also about the wrong operating system (El Capitan) and hardware, and was started years back etc. etc. but..... All the recent posts about voice to text and autocorrect have been about iPhones.

Given that it's therefore hard to find, and was started by someone with a completely different problem, that discussion should be dead and buried, having been resolved. But it's not, because it's about a problem that 71 people now claim to have.

So I guess I've answered my own question - it's not just me, clearly! But I do think it's something that should be taken seriously. Is this an example of bad AI? Shouldn't we expect better from Apple?

I have already sent this feedback to Apple. This is really about finding out how many others have this same problem, and, I hope, persuading someone at Apple to look into it, because if things don't improve, it's going to start to affect their business as well as their users' sanity.

Thanks in advance.

iPhone SE, iOS 11.2.5, null

Posted on Jan 24, 2018 3:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2018 11:24 PM

And the lack of replies here would Bear that out (I’m going to leave that randomly added capital letter in here to make the point) but....

There are pages of people with the same problem here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7445742?answerId=32916770022#32916770022

.... and many of them have posted recently.

I suspect that for the majority of people who encounter this, if it doesn’t work very well, they just stop using dictation and Siri. Anecdotally I have many friends (even people who are part of the Apple Developer Program) who have given up on voice control altogether. One hugely loyal Mac using friend (and ADP member) told me just yesterday that he’s given up on Apple completely. He now has an Android phone and was telling me how smart Amazon’s Alexa is.

Also, is it unreasonable to expect Siri, voice-to-text and autocorrect to get better over time, rather than staying the same?

Isn’t that what Artificial Intelligence is supposed to do, learn?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2018 11:24 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

And the lack of replies here would Bear that out (I’m going to leave that randomly added capital letter in here to make the point) but....

There are pages of people with the same problem here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7445742?answerId=32916770022#32916770022

.... and many of them have posted recently.

I suspect that for the majority of people who encounter this, if it doesn’t work very well, they just stop using dictation and Siri. Anecdotally I have many friends (even people who are part of the Apple Developer Program) who have given up on voice control altogether. One hugely loyal Mac using friend (and ADP member) told me just yesterday that he’s given up on Apple completely. He now has an Android phone and was telling me how smart Amazon’s Alexa is.

Also, is it unreasonable to expect Siri, voice-to-text and autocorrect to get better over time, rather than staying the same?

Isn’t that what Artificial Intelligence is supposed to do, learn?

Feb 20, 2018 7:16 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Dear Lawrence Finch,

You need to read the post above.

You may well be right on the numbers, but perhaps you (and Apple) need to think more about the people for whom dictation and Siri are absolutely vital every single day. Yes, a minority, yes, not making much noise about it on these discussion pages, but hardly meaningful? How do you know?

I'm pleased for you that you think it's "much better", truly, but I also think that you should consider how much more important these features are to certain people.

Just reflect on the time and effortchristianfromfulhamwill have had to go to to find this thread and post his/her comment... I suspect christianfromfulham has far better things to do with his/her life. I didn't want to mention this on here, but I too have a disability which means that dictation and Siri can sometimes be lifesavers for me. Which is why I feel so strongly about this, and why I haven't replied before to your comment above. Like me, I suspect s/he came here looking for answers and help, not to be put down.

I've got involved here (at considerable personal cost) and taken the trouble to send feedback to Apple about this issue because I want to help Apple make dictation, Siri and autocorrect better for everyone. Otherwise I, like those friends I mentioned before (including two people who were such loyal techies that they were part of the Apple Developer Program) will just switch to Android, but with huge regret and sadness.

Most people who find that a piece of disposable tech (sadly what iPhones and iPads have become) isn't working for them just go to a competitor instead when their current phone is paid for. Why bother to do any of this?

I guess the bottom line now is that it's up to Apple really, isn't it?

Is it just me, or is autocorrect and voice dictation getting worse?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.