Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security update 2018.001causing hang

Security update 2018.001causing hang & automatic reboot when system tries to load ESET Internet Security version 6.5.600.1.

O/S - El Capitan 10.11.6 only way to solve problem was to uninstall ESET.

Anyone know of a patch ?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Jan 24, 2018 7:56 AM

8 replies

Jan 24, 2018 10:48 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks but I have been using ESET for 4 + years & found it to be a trouble free Antivirus app - this is the first time I have had a problem with it & as it is directly related to the last Apple security update I expect a patch will be forthcoming from one or both ESET or Apple . I suppose I was just trying to speed up a resolution while waiting for ESET South Africa to come back to me with the patch they are working on.

Don't quite understand your comment that ESET doesn't provide benefit unless one is working with Windows files - how does this relate to viruses in email attachments , on websites etc ?

Jan 24, 2018 10:58 AM in response to PatrickJT

Hello PatrickJT,

I sincerely doubt there will be another patch from Apple. This particular incident had a massive amount of attention in the press and I'm sure that contributed to Apple releasing an update for El Capitan. I think it is reasonable to expect this to be the last ever update for El Capitan.

macOS already comes with multiple layers of security software that will protect you against the few actual examples of Mac malware that might be downloaded from a website. You don't need any extra 3rd party software for that. Virtually any virus attached to e-mail is going to be for Windows.

The only remaining issues that Mac users really need to be worried about on a day-to-day basis are adware and scamware. I have no idea how well ESET is going to protect you from those. There are only a couple of Mac security products that have been proven to be effective against adware and scamware. Those are the ones that you will see recommended here on Apple Support Communities. ESET is not in that list.

Security update 2018.001causing hang

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.