Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

freezing on login screen

Hello, today 2 times my mac freeze on login screen, nothing i can do except manual reboot. It happend few times previously but what worry me is that it seems its more often now, so i am backing up files for any case. Is there anything i can do about this and is it possible to resolve problem and make sure it wont happen again? or i have to visit apple service..

Honestly i not belive this happening to a such expensive and quality product. 2 years never any big problems now with high sierra its like another computer..

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Jan 24, 2018 3:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2018 3:38 PM

Hi,

A Safe Mode boot deletes system caches that might work for you.

To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The white Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
  2. Release the shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup then see if it freezes on login screen.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2018 3:38 PM in response to iki88

Hi,

A Safe Mode boot deletes system caches that might work for you.

To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The white Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
  2. Release the shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup then see if it freezes on login screen.

freezing on login screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.