Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airpod volume low after 1 year

I bought my airpod when the launched, so they just passed the 1 year warranty.

in the last few weeks the sound has become very low if I put the airpods in as they were designed to be worn, wih the stems pointing down. If i rotate the airpods so the stems point forward and are parallel to ground they sound fine. Unfortunately in this position, if I do not get it just right, the sensors will indicate they are not in my ear and the playback will stop. So slight movement can stop playback. I have searched for answers online, some have suggested the airpods may have dirt and wax build up. I have cleaned them off, and it has no impact on the problem. I have read some posts online suggesting that I pull the screens out and run them over a flame to burn off all debris and then somehow reinsert them, which sounds ridiculous.

I find it hard to believe that a little dirt and earwax on the screens would cause almost a 90% drop in volume. I also find it odd that if I rotate the headphones I get clear typical sound. I was beginning to think that perhaps my ear canals have stretched after jamming these headphones in for a year, but then I took my old wired earpods and tried them and they sound fine and have essentially the same design.

I have tried repairing the airpods, I have checked to make sure the firmware is up to date, and everything checks out. I am guessing that since these airpods are about 2 weeks past the 1 year warranty that i am out of luck.

Any suggestions?

AirPods

Posted on Jan 25, 2018 6:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2018 3:05 PM

Hi, so as I stated on my post I had read on some sites that people posted that they sucked on the front opening of their air pods and it fixed the low volume. I thought No Way.. i was not worried about sucking wax in my mouth, as I knew the ipods were clean, having carefully scrape all residue off the screen with a tooth pick. My fear was sucking on the grill might damage the tiny speaker diaphragm. So after not being able to get an answer from Apple other than paying 70 bucks to replace one ear bud, 140 for both, I decided I had nothing to lose. I gently sucked on the grill, not much difference, so I tried again, sucking hard enough so I could tell that air was flowing through. IT WORKED! That was about 3 weeks ago, and they are now plying clearly at full volume! I am not B.S.ing .

All I will say is, if ya got nothing to lose try it. The only explanation I coul imagine is that perhaps when I inserted the bud, I pushed it in and perhaps some how created enough pressure to cause the diaphragm of the speaker to collapse, and the sucking pulled it back out

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2018 3:05 PM in response to BCKstarlt6

Hi, so as I stated on my post I had read on some sites that people posted that they sucked on the front opening of their air pods and it fixed the low volume. I thought No Way.. i was not worried about sucking wax in my mouth, as I knew the ipods were clean, having carefully scrape all residue off the screen with a tooth pick. My fear was sucking on the grill might damage the tiny speaker diaphragm. So after not being able to get an answer from Apple other than paying 70 bucks to replace one ear bud, 140 for both, I decided I had nothing to lose. I gently sucked on the grill, not much difference, so I tried again, sucking hard enough so I could tell that air was flowing through. IT WORKED! That was about 3 weeks ago, and they are now plying clearly at full volume! I am not B.S.ing .

All I will say is, if ya got nothing to lose try it. The only explanation I coul imagine is that perhaps when I inserted the bud, I pushed it in and perhaps some how created enough pressure to cause the diaphragm of the speaker to collapse, and the sucking pulled it back out

airpod volume low after 1 year

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.