Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicating 'compound' clips?

Breaking 90 minute film into blocks, contained in compound clips. I need to re-edit one of the compound clips. But. I want to keep what I've already done as a backup. When I duplicate the compound clip and then double click open the NEW compound clip ... I see that I'm still working with the original clips of the first compounded clip. Meaning, I'm chopping into my original cut ... when I actually want to make a new cut.

I can't figure out the protocol here: how I can create a duplication of that original compound clip ... and when I click it open and work on the edit ... I'm working at the base level of an entirely new compound clip and NOT affecting the original cut which I want to keep as a backup?

All ears, Ben

My newly 'duplicated' compound clip. Named 'Master 002'.

User uploaded file

When I double click it open to work on it ... I see that what I'm working on is the original timeline of the first compound clip (same name): 'Master 001 clip'

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (15-inch Glossy), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 26, 2018 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2018 9:18 AM

When you duplicate compound clip A to create compound B, select B and choose Clip->Reference New Parent Clip.

Then changes you do to one will be completely separate from what you do to the other.

2 replies

Duplicating 'compound' clips?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.