Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does apple tv 4k support amazon prime video in 4K?

Does apple tv 4k support amazon prime video in 4K? Netflix in 4K? Any streaming in 4K?

Posted on Jan 26, 2018 12:47 PM

9 replies

Jan 30, 2018 1:12 AM in response to DirtyHarry62

Here's the error message I get after many minutes of spinning wheel, I replaced my HDMI cable with one that supports HDCP and it still doesn't work. All the other 4K video Apps on my Apple TV 4K work fine, Netflix, Canal+, Youtube. The problem occurs only with Amazon Prime Video.

I called Amazon Prime Video support and they've never heard of this issue yet, there are other Apple Support communities that seem to have a similar HDCP/HDMI issues but no mention of Amazon

Not sure what we can do

User uploaded file

Feb 1, 2018 8:17 AM in response to DirtyHarry62

Me again,

I just solved my problem by digging deep into the technical docs of my Samsung 4K TV. It turns out that only one of the 4 HDMI connections supports HDCP 2.2 it is indicated as HDMI (MHL). I swapped my Apple TV connection to this port and voilà! Amazon Prime Video works perfectly! No more spinning wheels and no more error messages.

Hope this helps

cheers

Jan 29, 2018 3:33 PM in response to desmodan

I have a Vizio 4K TV with the Amazon Prime app built-in, as well as the Netflix app, and can stream 4K from both apps directly on the set without the use of the Apple TV 4K. But I also use Direct TV app and HBO Now and its a hassle to switch back and forth, but it is a valid workaround.

I believe Netflix and Amazon use the same codec to stream 4K (H.265), so may a software update is the solution. I don't believe that Samsung and Vizio use the same codec on video files played from the USB port. Just as Youtube uses a completely different method than either Samsung or Vizio. Apple may be waiting to see what the dominate process will be before committing to hardware changes for any future format. Another Beta/VHS type problem.

Feb 1, 2018 8:33 AM in response to desmodan

Thank you for your reply and I am glad you solved your issue. But that got me thinking........

My Vizio set has only one HDMI input that supports 4K@60Hz and I am already using it for the connection to AV receiver, with the Apple TV 4K connected to that receiver. But it was the HDCP 2.2 part of your answer that got me thinking a little deeper.

The connection with the Apple TV 4K was showing as being 2160p but only when when non-copy protected, non-4K source material was being sent (IE HBO now, Sling TV, etc) and upscaled to 4K. The receiver was made before HDCP 2.2 standard was invented. So although the receiver can send 4K and pass-through 4K, it does not comply with the HDCP 2.2 standard.

A direct connection from the Apple TV 4K to the Vizio on the HDMI port that supports 4K@60Hz and now Amazon prime app (with a 4K program) works perfectly. No more spinning wheel and no more errors. Thank you for helping solve both your issue and mine.

Does apple tv 4k support amazon prime video in 4K?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.