Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

delete AirDrop files

I recently began using AirDrop, but discovered that iMac files that I did not wish to share were automatically shared with my iPhone. When I deleted these files from my iPhone, they also deleted on the iMac. I tried turning off AirDrop on both devices, but files still deleted on both devices.

1) how can I delete files transferred via AirDrop from receiving device only?

2) can AirDrop be used to receive only selected files? Or must it be used as an all-or-nothing transfer app?

Thanks for your help.

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.2.5

Posted on Jan 26, 2018 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2018 1:58 PM

In the Finder app on your iMac select iCloud Drive on the left side bar. Then find whatever files you need to save locally and copy them to a different location on your iMac where you want to save files going forward. Once you have them all moved you can delete them from the iCloud Drive folder on your Mac, delete them from iCloud Drive at iCloud.com, or delete them using the files app on your mobile device.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2018 1:58 PM in response to marsco999

In the Finder app on your iMac select iCloud Drive on the left side bar. Then find whatever files you need to save locally and copy them to a different location on your iMac where you want to save files going forward. Once you have them all moved you can delete them from the iCloud Drive folder on your Mac, delete them from iCloud Drive at iCloud.com, or delete them using the files app on your mobile device.

Jan 26, 2018 12:56 PM in response to marsco999

AirDrop does not work like that https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204144. There is no syncing of files between devices after the transfer is done, so files will not be removed in the way you are stating.

Based on what you said is happening it seems you are syncing files via iCloud Drive https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204025. Does that sound like it might be what is happening?

What kinds of files are you working with and how are you accessing the files on your phone?

If it is photos that are causing the issue you might be using iCloud photo library iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support. The way that works is if you have it enabled on your phone and Mac and you delete a photo from one of them it will be deleted on the other because the library is synced across your devices.

Jan 26, 2018 3:00 PM in response to marsco999

More info on the files app here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206481

What the files app on your phone is showing you is documents that are stored in iCloud Drive. You are right that when iCloud Drive is enabled iCloud becomes the default location for saving files on your Mac. What you can do when you create files if you don't want them to go to your other devices you can change the save location when you save your files in the Numbers app.

Jan 26, 2018 2:46 PM in response to marsco999

I am using Numbers files, mostly, some of which I would like to have on my iPhone and others I would not. There is a "files" folder on my iPhone that has these Numbers files in it.

You're right...I don't understand iCloud either.

It seems that iCloud is always the "save as" file destination. So, should I stop using iCloud or is there another solution?

delete AirDrop files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.