Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing wi-fi ac Card in Mac Pro 5,1

Has anyone had success doing this? I bought a Broadcom BCM94360CD 802.11ac WiFi card+Bluetooth 4.0, which was listed as for a 27" iMac, but I was told that it would work in my 2009 Mac Pro. However, after fitting, it simply doesn't show up. Does it need to be connected to power, because I don't have any spare outlets on the motherboard. I know that a member called John Lockwood has succeeded with this, but there doesn't seem to be any way of contacting him.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mac Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.1), Mac Pro 5,1, 3.33 GHz 12-core, 32GB

Posted on Jan 27, 2018 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 7:49 AM

Most pernicious Wi-Fi connection problems are NOT due to bad hardware, but are typically due to a terrible Wi-Fi environment.

By this I mean users are trying to run on only 2.4GHz with a dozen neighbors fighting over the three available channels.

Others may be using good modern Routers but are too far from their Router or have too much solid construction in the way so the signal is too low. A few reported here have been the reverse -- due to being less than a few feet from the Router, the signal was too "loud" and it overwhelmed the receiver.

Gross problems can be diagnosed with a snapshot of your current Wi-Fi environment. But you should post this on a new thread, to get the attention you deserve. Hold down the Option key and click on the Wi-Fi icon in the Menubar. You get a display similar to this older one:

User uploaded file

In your NEW post, include the Make&Model of your Mac Pro and the MacOS you are running. Then get this information from that display (or post a screenshot):

what do you get for PHY Mode and channel?

what do you get from RSSI and signal-to-noise?

what do you get for Transmit Rate and MCS Index?

... and very important, how many networks do you see?

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2018 7:49 AM in response to Jody Smith

Most pernicious Wi-Fi connection problems are NOT due to bad hardware, but are typically due to a terrible Wi-Fi environment.

By this I mean users are trying to run on only 2.4GHz with a dozen neighbors fighting over the three available channels.

Others may be using good modern Routers but are too far from their Router or have too much solid construction in the way so the signal is too low. A few reported here have been the reverse -- due to being less than a few feet from the Router, the signal was too "loud" and it overwhelmed the receiver.

Gross problems can be diagnosed with a snapshot of your current Wi-Fi environment. But you should post this on a new thread, to get the attention you deserve. Hold down the Option key and click on the Wi-Fi icon in the Menubar. You get a display similar to this older one:

User uploaded file

In your NEW post, include the Make&Model of your Mac Pro and the MacOS you are running. Then get this information from that display (or post a screenshot):

what do you get for PHY Mode and channel?

what do you get from RSSI and signal-to-noise?

what do you get for Transmit Rate and MCS Index?

... and very important, how many networks do you see?

Jan 27, 2018 6:43 PM in response to TimDanaher

Yeah, i’ve Done it before-very tricky work-as the wifi antenna/Bluetooth antenna wires are tucked underneath the logic board and are kinda hard to find, and the connectors are tiny and fiddly-hard to get on. Of course I bought an ‘ official’ wifi/Bluetooth card, and not a more generic one. It should just slot in. I also found a guide on how to install a wifi card in my Mac Pro with pictures, etc, I’m sure there’s one out there like that. Seeing as how you have a Broadcom wifi Bluetooth card, maybe it needs an OSX driver to be “seen” by your Mac Pro. Sorry I can’t be of much more help than that

John B

Jan 29, 2018 1:15 PM in response to TimDanaher

I have the same Mac Pro's 2009.

I have not tried this however I have read that this USB solution works well.

USB Wifi dongle ( Install with driver from included CD )

EDUP EP-DB1607 USB Wireless Network Adapter 600Mbps Dual-band 2.4GHz / 5.8GHz | eBay

USB Bluetooth dongle ( Plug and play with OSX , No drivers need to install, Works Vanilla ).

Amazon.com: IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter, GBU521: Computers & Accessories

Feb 22, 2018 12:53 PM in response to TimDanaher

This kit http://www.osxwifi.com/apple-broadcom-bcm94360cd-802-11-a-b-g-n-ac-bluetooth-4-0 -with-adapter-for-macpro-2009-and-macpro… consists of I believe the same card you have but also comes with a cable to provide power to the card so yes you do need to provide power to the card for it to work.

This card replaces both the original WiFi card and the original Bluetooth cards with a single combined card. The power comes from the location near the old Bluetooth card. You also need to get an extension cable to connect the Bluetooth antenna from the old location to the new card.

Mar 13, 2018 5:51 AM in response to TimDanaher

Hello, I am looking to do this same replacement in my MacPro5,1 .

Before I hit the order button, does this fix the "spotty" wifi I am experiencing? In the last 6mo, my Mac Pro has gotten to where it will "drop" wifi out of the blue. The only way I have found to remedy is to toggle wifi in the menu bar.

Do the N wifi cards "go bad"?

thanks all! This thread has been very helpful already.

Mar 13, 2018 3:11 PM in response to Jody Smith

Just wanted to chime in with my 2cents. Yes, go with what Grant-Bennet-Alder said, and with what the other guy said. Yes, you can get a wifi extender..which can be as simple as a box that plugs directly into your electrical outlet, or a used airport( either 802.11 n or ac if you can find it) . The cards themselves are not really known to go bad, but it might happen. Also, see if changing one of the antenna wires, which one is plugged in where, helps you out, i think the Bluetooth antenna should be disconnected, then use either 1 or 2. Beware-the antenna connectors are tiny and fiddly. You can also get a Mac Pro wifi card that has antennas that stick out the back, thru one of the card slots. Id be inclined to change the channel on your wifi, and switch it over from 2.4ghz to 5ghz as well, if you have an iphone, you can get airport express in the App Store, which is free. If not, just use the airport express app on your Mac to set it up as you see fit

John b

Installing wi-fi ac Card in Mac Pro 5,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.