Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change and update Apple ID password on all devices?

Hello! I was wondering if someone could help me. I recently changed my Apple ID password and now need to update this change for all of my devices. How do I go about this?

Do I have to sign out of each device first and then login with the new password or can I simply go into iCloud on the device in question and put my new password in where the old one is? I changed it from my computer on the appleid.com site. And it has been updated to my trusted devices. I have since learned that if I need to change it again I can do it directly from these. I am mostly asking about an old iPhone 4s I have that I still use on occasion.

Can I simply update the new password into this
device without signing out or would I need to completely log out of iCloud and the iTunes and App Store before putting my new password in? I’m using the same Apple ID. I just changed the password. Many thanks!

Posted on Jan 28, 2018 9:18 PM

8 replies

Jan 28, 2018 9:46 PM in response to ckuan

Right. The other devices are already updated with the new password (iPod Touch, iPhone 6, iPhone 8). I signed out of each of them, as necessary, and logged in with the new information. Good to go.

I was just wondering about the iPhone 4s and whether or not I could simply update the new password into the phone itself by deleting the old one that’s currently entered and then inserting the new one rather than signing out of it completely.

Found this picture on the Internet. This is the field I’m talking about. Can I backspace the password currently listed and put in my new one? It’s already been updated to my other devices.

User uploaded file

Jan 28, 2018 9:24 PM in response to ckuan

Thank you for this link. So, Apple suggests logging out of your devices first before changing the password? What if you’re already signed in with your previous password but the same ID? Do I need to logout and sign back in with the new password? I thought I could just go into iCloud and update the password from there - replacing the one that’s currently there with the new one.

How to change and update Apple ID password on all devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.