Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery replacement for Macbook air

Hello all,

I have bought a second hand Macbook air, 11-inch, mid 2011, from which I'm very pleased, except from the battery life.

It goes without saying that the battery life of this model are not amazing in first place.

Looking at the system report, the power section says:

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 252

Condition: Normal

The question is, how dramatic (if at all) will a battery replacement be?

Thank you

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), mid 2011, 11"

Posted on Jan 29, 2018 8:02 AM

2 replies

Jan 29, 2018 1:13 PM in response to shai257

There is a typical lifespan of a battery, but there are many variables that can mean premature reduction in capacity. Older lithium-rechargeable batteries tend to lose capacity anyways. Batteries that are rarely recharged or that have suffered minor deep discharge might lose capacity. Sometimes there are manufacturing defects. A battery that was overheated can lose capacity. I'd at least run coconutBattery to get an idea.

https://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

Apple will perform the replacement for a generally reasonable price, with an OEM quality battery. In the United States it's $129 plus any sales tax, and they will only sell the battery as part of a complete service. However, they generally won't do the replacement unless the Condition is something other than "Normal" (more than 80% of new capacity).

Other than that, the battery replacement isn't that difficult to do yourself, but still carries risks. I believe it's easy enough, but due care needs to be taken to avoid damaging parts during disassembly. It also requires specialty tools - P5 (pentalobe) and T5 (Torx) screwdrivers. Some aftermarket battery kits come with basic versions of these screwdrivers.

MacBook Air 13" Mid 2011 Battery Replacement - iFixit

Where are you located? That might give us a better idea for an aftermarket battery purchase if that's what you want.

Battery replacement for Macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.