Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable Spectre and Meltdown patch

Hi!

I was wondering if there is a way to disable Spectre and Meltdown patches. Some sort of boot flag maybe?

Thank you 🙂

And before someone says something about security or about how little performance I loose in regular use cases. I know. I accept the risks. It's my product. I want to use it in it's full potential. Well... I need to use it in it's full potential.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 1, 2018 5:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2018 5:36 AM

You can't disable it if you updated to 10.13.3, it's embedded, unless your computer shipped with an earlier version of the OS and you can internet restore back to that OS or you have a full installer of 10.13.1,or 13.2 and can roll back to that.

Personally I understand you concerns (i'm running a CPU rendering farm) but this is a volunteer forum. You are not speaking with Apple here and Apple does not respond to posts made here. If you have concern you would like Apple to know about go to www.apple.com/feedback

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2018 5:36 AM in response to hene193

You can't disable it if you updated to 10.13.3, it's embedded, unless your computer shipped with an earlier version of the OS and you can internet restore back to that OS or you have a full installer of 10.13.1,or 13.2 and can roll back to that.

Personally I understand you concerns (i'm running a CPU rendering farm) but this is a volunteer forum. You are not speaking with Apple here and Apple does not respond to posts made here. If you have concern you would like Apple to know about go to www.apple.com/feedback

Feb 1, 2018 7:15 AM in response to hene193

hene193 wrote:

I know this is volunteer forum and I know I sounded a bit rude. I also know that Apple does read these forums to some extent.

You are falling into the trap of thinking that "Apple" is a person. It is actually the world's largest company, with hundreds of thousands of employees. And the few employees (very few, BTW), who manage the forum do not have responding to posts such as yours in their job description, or even reading posts. About the only time a host sees a post is if a user at level 2 or higher reports it for a potential violation of the terms of use.

Feb 1, 2018 11:32 AM in response to hene193

FWIW, I ran Geekbench before and after the OS updates

and found no noticeable differences in performance on

on all 4 Macs. The difference was not more than the

variance one sees between different test runs.

Whether Geekbench would be the right tool to determine

this remains to be seen.

Also, FWIW, I have noticed no difference in my normal usage which includes

a good deal of photo editing with 3 or 4 apps open.

Disable Spectre and Meltdown patch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.