Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use my Personal Hotspot to connect to Smart TV?

My cable internet access is being cut off. Can I use my Personal Hotpot on my iPhone/MacBook Pro to connect to my Vizio Smart TV?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 1, 2018 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2018 12:40 PM

If your Smart TV supports Wifi connections, you can connect your Tv to the iPhone's personal Hotspot like you would a normal Wifi network yes.

Note, that streaming apps on the TV, like Youtube, or Netflix will use your iPhones data allowance from your plan, and your carrier may throttle your plan if such things are against its fair use policy.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2018 12:40 PM in response to rkstaff

If your Smart TV supports Wifi connections, you can connect your Tv to the iPhone's personal Hotspot like you would a normal Wifi network yes.

Note, that streaming apps on the TV, like Youtube, or Netflix will use your iPhones data allowance from your plan, and your carrier may throttle your plan if such things are against its fair use policy.

Feb 1, 2018 12:42 PM in response to rkstaff

If you are asking can you create a Personal Hotspot with your iPhone to use as wireless Internet connection to your Vizio TV, the answer is potentially yes. However, the amount of data that will be required for program streaming may quickly deplete your monthly data plan with your cellular provider.

Ref: Share your Internet connection with Personal Hotspot - Apple Support

Can I use my Personal Hotspot to connect to Smart TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.