Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 Plus (Black screen / freezing)

So basically, I bought a brand new iPhone 8 Plus last week and I’ve experienced a lot of freezing when watching YouTube videos. I try to exit out of it by pressing the home and side button to close the screen but it stays there in a black screen but still kinda visible.

I’ve also tried changing my background wallpaper through my gallery/photos but every time I try to pick a photo and make it my wallpaper, I see that my wallpaper is now black for home screen and lock screen. I’ve tried using the original apple wallpapers and they work but not from my gallery.

User uploaded file

Posted on Feb 1, 2018 11:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2018 2:54 PM

Hi raiNH__,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities and congratulations on your new iPhone. I understand that you're having trouble with the YouTube app becoming unresponsive while you're using it and I also see that you're unable to select a photo from your Camera Roll to use as wallpaper for your iPhone without both the Home Screen and Lock Screen being black. I know it's important for your apps to work as you expect them to as well as to be able to customize how your iPhone looks; I'd like to help. For the behavior you mention with YouTube, I'd recommend following the steps here: If an app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open

If you're still unable to change your wallpaper to a photo from your photo albums after restarting your iPhone, I'd recommend creating a backup using these steps: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Then follow the directions below to reinstall the iOS software to your iPhone 8. Be sure to closely follow step four and choose to "Update" in order to prevent data loss:
  1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps, but don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo, wait until the connect to iTunes screen appears:
    • On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the connect to iTunes screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see connect to iTunes screen.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the connect to iTunes screen.
      User uploaded file
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits the connect to iTunes screen, let the download finish, then repeat step 3.
    User uploaded file
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.
If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

After this process is complete test to see if you're able to successfully change your wallpaper.

Best Regards.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2018 2:54 PM in response to raiNH__

Hi raiNH__,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities and congratulations on your new iPhone. I understand that you're having trouble with the YouTube app becoming unresponsive while you're using it and I also see that you're unable to select a photo from your Camera Roll to use as wallpaper for your iPhone without both the Home Screen and Lock Screen being black. I know it's important for your apps to work as you expect them to as well as to be able to customize how your iPhone looks; I'd like to help. For the behavior you mention with YouTube, I'd recommend following the steps here: If an app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open

If you're still unable to change your wallpaper to a photo from your photo albums after restarting your iPhone, I'd recommend creating a backup using these steps: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Then follow the directions below to reinstall the iOS software to your iPhone 8. Be sure to closely follow step four and choose to "Update" in order to prevent data loss:
  1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps, but don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo, wait until the connect to iTunes screen appears:
    • On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the connect to iTunes screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see connect to iTunes screen.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the connect to iTunes screen.
      User uploaded file
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits the connect to iTunes screen, let the download finish, then repeat step 3.
    User uploaded file
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.
If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

After this process is complete test to see if you're able to successfully change your wallpaper.

Best Regards.

iPhone 8 Plus (Black screen / freezing)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.