Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search multiple PDFs using preview (Broken?)

Hello,

In past versions of MacOS, we could select multiple PDF files, open with > preview, and the files would open all within one window (untabbed). More recently, preview had a bug wherein files would open in invidual windows regardless of user settings. Now, this seems resolved but the files open within individual tabs in the same preview window.

The problem is this makes searching all of the files simaltanesouly impossible, so far as I can see. In past versions, you could search bar > search (e.g. "ducks"), and every instances of ducks, across all files you had in your preview instance, would be available in the left hand pane. You could then simply scroll through them or use the down arrow key to navigate one by one.

Does anyone have an idea how to get this functionality back? Are there any Preview alternatives that will do this quickly and easily (show every search instance in a visual pane that can be easily manipulated)?

There is a similar question on SE here, with no answer: (MacOS) Preview does not open multiple PDF files in one window anymore? - Super User

On a Macbook Pro, version 10.13.3

Thank you!

Posted on Feb 2, 2018 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2018 11:03 AM

See my previous post on High Sierra Preview changes here. Though one can still open multiple image files in a single window, this capability has been removed from Preview.

The free Skim PDF tool, also built on Apple's PDFKit, does not open multiple selected PDF in one window.

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC allows you to specify a folder on your machine that contains multiple PDF files, and will perform an advanced search across those files. Results are shown in a side-bar list by document, with expandable lists for each document search match.

One can just launch Reader, and press shift+command+F to open the Advanced Search side panel. It looks like this:

User uploaded file User uploaded file

In the second image, I had specified a folder PDFTEST on my Desktop that contained two PDF files. I could have initially selected both PDF files in the Finder and then opened both in Reader (even in their own tabs - see Reader Preferences : General) before choosing the Advanced Search tool. This however, limits the search to the current document tab, and will not scan both open documents. In short, not even Acrobat Reader permits opening multiple PDF in one window.

Note. This first image shown did not produce the second image results, as the All PDF Documents would have had to be selected, and then narrowed in scope to my Desktop/PDFTEST folder.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2018 11:03 AM in response to GTLON

See my previous post on High Sierra Preview changes here. Though one can still open multiple image files in a single window, this capability has been removed from Preview.

The free Skim PDF tool, also built on Apple's PDFKit, does not open multiple selected PDF in one window.

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC allows you to specify a folder on your machine that contains multiple PDF files, and will perform an advanced search across those files. Results are shown in a side-bar list by document, with expandable lists for each document search match.

One can just launch Reader, and press shift+command+F to open the Advanced Search side panel. It looks like this:

User uploaded file User uploaded file

In the second image, I had specified a folder PDFTEST on my Desktop that contained two PDF files. I could have initially selected both PDF files in the Finder and then opened both in Reader (even in their own tabs - see Reader Preferences : General) before choosing the Advanced Search tool. This however, limits the search to the current document tab, and will not scan both open documents. In short, not even Acrobat Reader permits opening multiple PDF in one window.

Note. This first image shown did not produce the second image results, as the All PDF Documents would have had to be selected, and then narrowed in scope to my Desktop/PDFTEST folder.

Search multiple PDFs using preview (Broken?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.