Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use an HDMI cable on my macbook and connect it to the imac using an adapter?

I have an HDMI cable from my MacBook, plugged into a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter, then the Thunderbolt end of the adapter into the imac. Will this work? I hit Command F2 and it didnt work.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 2, 2018 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2018 9:11 AM

No that will not work, please read Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode - Apple Support to determine if you have compatible Macs and it will also let you know the cables required if you do.

2 replies

Feb 2, 2018 8:58 AM in response to R6izlyfe

No. The connection needs to be directly from one Thunderbolt port to another. HDMI does not carry all the signal data of Thunderbolt, and as such the iMac cannot engage Target display mode from it.

System Requirements

You need the following to use Target Display Mode:

A Mac notebook or desktop with a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt port. If your Mac has Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports, you can connect it using the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter.

Can I use an HDMI cable on my macbook and connect it to the imac using an adapter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.