Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3rd Attempt Also a Fail: My Experience Enabling iTunes Match 2-2018

The following is not so much a question, as it is a summary of my experiences to hopefully assist others that are trying to decide to use iTunes Match (iCloud Music Library). There are lots of discussions and articles on this subject across the WWW, but some are very aged, while others don't contain sufficient specifics that some like me may prefer. Apple does not have any FAQs I can find with sufficient specifics, other than when asked, to say iTunes Match may make changes to your library. Cloud services and application updates can happen unexpectedly, where as the end-user it's difficult or near impossible to know what may have been changed over time. SO, here is my experience as of February 1, 2018 attempting to enable iTunes Match with my existing iTunes library -- the things that worked, others that didn't, and my suggestion to anyone like myself wanting to consider using this service today:

Background / Environment

My (macOS-based) iTunes library has 26K+ tracks: approximately 20% purchased from iTunes, with nearly everything else having been ripped from my personal CD collection into ALAC (Apple Lossless) format. I've used iTunes since it's inception and have spent years carefully curating the library: Album Art is consistent and imbedded physically in the file as part of each and every track; Album Artists (and track Artists) are consistent across my entire library; Genres are consistent; 100% of my tracks have Star Ratings; To hedge my bets, Even though I don't like it, I've begun additionally using "Love" for my 5-star and some of my 4-star tracks, as it seems to be Apple's latest iOS modus-operandi to simplify their UI. I have more than 100 Smart Playlists, primarily oriented towards combinations of Artists, Genre and Star Ratings. Using playlists, I sync via iTunes several thousand tracks onto my iPad Pro and iPhone X (and on to my Apple Watch). Using playlists, I manually extract and then convert track format/tagging/art from iTunes for use via USB Stick in my Tesla which has neither CarPlay or an iPod connector.

I have twice previously tried to use iTunes Match since it's inception. I LOVE the concept to keep copies of my tracks in the cloud for easier device access, while still maintaining my highest quality master library on my Mac. Sadly, my first two attempts over the years resulted in too many insurmountable problems where much of my master library track tagging and album art ended-up being changed and "messed-up" to the degree I couldn't access my own music the way I want to. I ended-up restoring/rebuilding my iTunes Library and turning-off iTunes Match both times.

Next week HomePod becomes available, where there will become additional reason to have as much of my music as possible part of iCloud Music Library for maximum access via Siri. Yes, I could use (manual) Airplay, but Siri access would be so much better. After a lot of research the last couple of weeks, and not finding a lot of new info as to exactly what problems I may or may not encounter with iTunes Match right now, I decided to take a deep breath and commit a couple days of time to try iTunes Match a 3rd time.

Enabling iTunes Match

To hedge my bets if I needed to back-out of iTunes Match again, and try to minimize anomalies I could effect, I:

1. Backed-up the common and music parts of my rather massive iTunes Library (9TB of which 450GB is Music)
  2. Deleted all formerly sync'd music and playlists on both my iPad and iPhone

I then purchased and turned-on iTunes Match via my Mac. The matching process continued for many hours without interruption. Upon completion, I was happy to find most everything looked good ... I had the same number of tracks, genre, artists, and albums as before the matching process began; MY album art was still there; I had no errors, and only a few tracks that were not purchased that didn't match or were uploaded, and those were appropriate, e.g. PDFs from digital booklets. I had roughly a dozen duplicate tracks that I was not aware of before the matching process, but could have been there. I fixed the handful of duplicate discrepancies manually, re-ran the match process for good measure (just to be sure before declaring success.) It had been less than an hour since iTunes Match completed it's initial matching process, and I was a very happy camper ...so far.

Next I went to my iPad and enabled iCloud Music Library. Within a few minutes, artwork and music began to populate, so I went to playlists and started the download of the tracks I like to maintain on my physical device (just as I do when manually sync'ing). I then did the same on my iPhone.

As I began to explore the iCloud Music Library environment I was receiving on my iOS devices, I noticed a few odd and duplicated playlists which caused me to go check my master iTunes Library back on my Mac. Sure enough, LOTS of changes had magically occurred to my master library. As to if these new changes were triggered because of timing and/or because I accessed iCloud Music Library from my iOS devices, IDK, but some of the problems I identified since iTunes Match completed it's matching process not 2 hours before included:

iTunes Match Problems

• I started with 1653 Albums before the match, and had 1667 after
    The additional albums seemed to be for the most part to be associated with "Ineligible" PDFs that had been split off from the rest of the album tracks, where both the Album Title and Album Art for that "Ineligible" track were changed back to their original version as originally purchased and downloaded from iTunes.
  • I started with 572 Album Artists before the match, and had 620 after
    The changes made were not always consistent across all tracks in the same album. I can't explain a pattern to this with the limited time I took trying to figure out what happened.
  • I started with 15 Genre before the match, and had 32 after
    Most, if not all of the matched tracks reverted to the Genre iTunes has in Apple's master library up in the cloud, which caused some of my albums to no longer have consistent genres when some of the tracks were uploaded. This IMO makes access by Genre to become almost unusable (e.g. is "Soft Rock", "Rock" or "Pop" or something really different?). IDK about you, but my experience with the iTunes Library, both music and movies, is Genre is not always consistent even between Vol 1 & 2, or Episode 1 & 2. It is one of the areas I have spent considerable time cleaning-up and making more consistent over many years.
  • iTunes Match changed Album Titles on some -- but not all -- tracks for some albums
    Sigh. IDK with a quick glance if this was exclusively tied to the problem described above with "Ineligble" tracks. Perhaps so.
  • iTunes Match kept all my star ratings, but DELETED 100% of my Love tags
    Sigh. I have no theory or explanation for the failure. It is a clear and unacceptable bug.

iTunes Music Library via iOS ended up with some new spurious and duplicated playlists that did not exist in iTunes before or after iTunes Match was enabled
I didn't try deleting them on iOS for fear of what the ripple effect may be, as I had not read the other threads on these problems.

The Net

I have abandoned iTunes Match for the 3rd time in 6 years. It has tons of promise, and I'm sad that Apple has simply not paid sufficient attention to the detail people with private music libraries like myself expect. While I realize it would require work by Apple behind the scenes, all I think those of us with highly curated music libraries need is a "Do Not Modify Source iTunes Library" preference when iCloud Music Library is utilized. It would get at least me, 99% of the way to a good end result, additionally opening up my potential use of Apple Music one day that is simply off of my radar when I can't more easily and confidently integrate it with my large, previously purchased music library.

What I did to back out: I turned-off iCloud Music Library on my iOS devices, then proceeded to delete all the tracks in the Cloud, simply to ensure I had nothing there that could possibly cause me a future issue of some sort. I then turned-off iCloud Music Library within iTunes Preferences, shutdown iTunes, and restored my library from before I enabled the service. Once that was complete, all was well again on my Mac, so overnight I sync'd my iPad and iPhone with their music tracks via iTunes again, and I'm back to normal.

Users that primarily stream music, and/or do not have an extensive physical/ripped music library as part of their existing iTunes library, or frankly don't care about the nuanced implications of having (especially) Album Title, Album Artist, and Genre potentially changed by iTunes at the track level, iTunes Match in it's present form may be a good fit. For me though, I'm sadly back to the more basic iTunes Sync & Airplay operation until perhaps one day Apple expends the energy to better accommodate users like myself.

I hope this is useful to some others on the fence! Good luck!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 2, 2018 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2018 6:58 AM

My 4th Attempt Was the Charm!!!

(Posting here as a "technical solution" or at least a conclusion, to the original post where iTunes Match failed.)

I may be a glutton for punishment, but I really wanted to get my music library into the cloud for use with my new HomePod, so decided three days ago I would bite the bullet and give in if I had to by: Re-running iTunes Match; then adapt my "perfect" metadata back to align more with what Apple has in their library, and attempt to update my playlists to deal with all the idiosyncrasies I've encountered before when trying iTunes Match ...sort of a reverse match. On February 9, I purchased iTunes Match again and began the process once more. The net result: My latest iTunes Match of 26,045 tracks has been complete and active for more than 2 days across my iTunes for Mac, iPad Pro, iPhone X, Apple Watch, Apple TV and HomePod ... and it's PERFECT with almost no complaints. I'm both surprised and pleased, but still also extremely paranoid given my previous painful experiences. Following are additional details for those interested.

Environment

Same as before: My (macOS-based) iTunes library has 26K+ tracks: approximately 20% purchased from iTunes, with nearly all the rest having been ripped from my personal CD collection into ALAC (Apple Lossless). I've used iTunes since it's inception and have spent years carefully curating the library: Album Art is consistent and physically imbedded in the file as part of each and every track; Album Artists (and track Artists) are consistent across my entire library; Genres are consistent; 100% of my tracks have Star Ratings and I've begun additionally using the "Love" tag. I have nearly 100 (mostly Smart) Playlists, primarily oriented towards combinations of Artists, Genre and Star Ratings for use on my Apple playback devices and extracting tracks for further manipulation onto a dedicated USB SSD in my car.

Enabling iTunes Match

To hedge my bets if I needed to back-out of iTunes Match, I:

1. Backed-up the common and music parts of my rather massive iTunes Library (9TB of which 450GB is Music)

2. Deleted all formerly sync'd music and playlists from both my iPad and iPhone

3. I then purchased and turned-on iTunes Match via my Mac and let the process begin

Whereas the initial matching process on my 3rd attempt completed in around 12 hours just 9 days ago, this time using the exact same library, at around the 10-11 hour mark the matching process ended with no error messages, but thousands of tracks marked "Removed". As puzzling as that was since I had both cleared the cloud library at the end of my previous 3rd attempt (or at least I thought I had), and my service had been "Cancelled" several days before, I rapidly sorted and selected all the "Removed" tracks, then selected "Add to iCloud Music Library" to start the upload process. It took nearly 12 additional hours for those tracks to eventually upload and the matching process to truly complete. To my surprise, the result was terrific: I had the same number of tracks, albums, genre, and album artists as I had started with. Ratings and Love were still there. Track, Album and Artists metadata did not appear to have been changed -- AT ALL. "Ineligible" and "Duplicate" tracks appeared to be reasonable and as expected. I manually ran "Update iCloud Music Library" a couple more times, and no changes took place.

Next, I took a deep breath and enabled iTunes Music Library on my iPad and iPhone. The Apple servers must have been swamped, but after a period of time, my playlists populated. I had no new spurious iOS-only playlists as I had in my 3rd attempt the week before. I proceeded to begin downloading the playlist tracks I was interested in on both devices, and went in to check my master iTunes library... Each time I tried iTunes Match before, within an hour after completing the initial match or certainly soon after enabling it on any of my iOS devices, metadata problems began to creep into my master iTunes library ...but not this time.

What IS Different in the Present Result

It does not impact track or metadata content, or any track playback, but this time enabling iTunes Match, of the 26K+ tracks in my library, more than 21K show as "Matched" and 4K as "Uploaded". Only 3 tracks show as "Purchased" and those are the ones I purchased via iTunes since enabling iTunes Match a couple days ago... (There are actually thousands of purchased tracks.) IOW, on my latest attempt, iTunes does not show as many uploaded and purchased-designated tracks via iCloud Status as has in the past ...and matched items appear over-inflated depending on one's interpretation of that -- while all the tracks I should have remain available everywhere, and things seem to be operating just fine.

Perhaps someone else can explain why I have this difference now. It's puzzling to me why iTunes Match this time has changed it's mind in these three iCloud status categories, but I'm not going to dwell on it or try to change something, as long as things operate as well as the seem to be.

It Just Works

I can't tell you how many times in the past 2 days I've checked various counts in my iTunes library and on my iOS devices to see if "the cloud" has made some unexpected changes. It always has in the past, but there are still no odd changes to my library other than the iCloud Status differences I mentioned above. I've tried all the things I can think of that may trigger problems I've had in the past, but nothing unexpected has happened -- it's just all working and I'm sorry to come across so pessimistic, but I can't believe it. I've waited more than 24 hours. I've tried shutting down/starting up iTunes and my Mac multiple times, rebooting my iOS devices, changing ratings and love tags via iTunes and iOS, changing album name, album artist, artist names, and genre on one or more tracks. I've added a new playlist and changed it's name on both iTunes and iOS. In each case, the data has updated and become available to other devices within moments, and nothing negative has (yet) happened to my carefully curated iTunes Library as has happened so many times before.

Summary

Things can always change as we put our data up into the cloud and rely on someone/something else to be part of it's management. I get that. But, right now, I have a picture postcard version of iTunes Match operating across all my devices, including my new HomePod that can play any of my 26K tracks or playlists with a verbal command -- and as importantly for me -- MY album art and metadata is in-tact the way I have always had it for all of my purchased physical and electronically-downloaded music.

I wish I could say with certainty what I have done to make this work so others could benefit from the precise steps I've gone through. I've documented everything I can in these posts to perhaps assist, but I can only guess that something beneficial happened with my more recently using iTunes Match, turning it off for a few days, having it "Cancelled" and then re-enabling and going back through the process, or Apple has made system changes up in the cloud improving with iTunes Match. IDK. Perhaps someone here has a theory?

If iTunes Match all of a sudden goes nuts on me in the next few days, I'll be sure to update this thread. Good luck to all. When iTunes Match works, it really is awesome! It's pretty terrific being able to access all of my (purchased) music library from all of my devices, including via voice on HomePod.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2018 6:58 AM in response to WDW1Fanatic

My 4th Attempt Was the Charm!!!

(Posting here as a "technical solution" or at least a conclusion, to the original post where iTunes Match failed.)

I may be a glutton for punishment, but I really wanted to get my music library into the cloud for use with my new HomePod, so decided three days ago I would bite the bullet and give in if I had to by: Re-running iTunes Match; then adapt my "perfect" metadata back to align more with what Apple has in their library, and attempt to update my playlists to deal with all the idiosyncrasies I've encountered before when trying iTunes Match ...sort of a reverse match. On February 9, I purchased iTunes Match again and began the process once more. The net result: My latest iTunes Match of 26,045 tracks has been complete and active for more than 2 days across my iTunes for Mac, iPad Pro, iPhone X, Apple Watch, Apple TV and HomePod ... and it's PERFECT with almost no complaints. I'm both surprised and pleased, but still also extremely paranoid given my previous painful experiences. Following are additional details for those interested.

Environment

Same as before: My (macOS-based) iTunes library has 26K+ tracks: approximately 20% purchased from iTunes, with nearly all the rest having been ripped from my personal CD collection into ALAC (Apple Lossless). I've used iTunes since it's inception and have spent years carefully curating the library: Album Art is consistent and physically imbedded in the file as part of each and every track; Album Artists (and track Artists) are consistent across my entire library; Genres are consistent; 100% of my tracks have Star Ratings and I've begun additionally using the "Love" tag. I have nearly 100 (mostly Smart) Playlists, primarily oriented towards combinations of Artists, Genre and Star Ratings for use on my Apple playback devices and extracting tracks for further manipulation onto a dedicated USB SSD in my car.

Enabling iTunes Match

To hedge my bets if I needed to back-out of iTunes Match, I:

2. Deleted all formerly sync'd music and playlists from both my iPad and iPhone

3. I then purchased and turned-on iTunes Match via my Mac and let the process begin

Whereas the initial matching process on my 3rd attempt completed in around 12 hours just 9 days ago, this time using the exact same library, at around the 10-11 hour mark the matching process ended with no error messages, but thousands of tracks marked "Removed". As puzzling as that was since I had both cleared the cloud library at the end of my previous 3rd attempt (or at least I thought I had), and my service had been "Cancelled" several days before, I rapidly sorted and selected all the "Removed" tracks, then selected "Add to iCloud Music Library" to start the upload process. It took nearly 12 additional hours for those tracks to eventually upload and the matching process to truly complete. To my surprise, the result was terrific: I had the same number of tracks, albums, genre, and album artists as I had started with. Ratings and Love were still there. Track, Album and Artists metadata did not appear to have been changed -- AT ALL. "Ineligible" and "Duplicate" tracks appeared to be reasonable and as expected. I manually ran "Update iCloud Music Library" a couple more times, and no changes took place.

Next, I took a deep breath and enabled iTunes Music Library on my iPad and iPhone. The Apple servers must have been swamped, but after a period of time, my playlists populated. I had no new spurious iOS-only playlists as I had in my 3rd attempt the week before. I proceeded to begin downloading the playlist tracks I was interested in on both devices, and went in to check my master iTunes library... Each time I tried iTunes Match before, within an hour after completing the initial match or certainly soon after enabling it on any of my iOS devices, metadata problems began to creep into my master iTunes library ...but not this time.

What IS Different in the Present Result

It does not impact track or metadata content, or any track playback, but this time enabling iTunes Match, of the 26K+ tracks in my library, more than 21K show as "Matched" and 4K as "Uploaded". Only 3 tracks show as "Purchased" and those are the ones I purchased via iTunes since enabling iTunes Match a couple days ago... (There are actually thousands of purchased tracks.) IOW, on my latest attempt, iTunes does not show as many uploaded and purchased-designated tracks via iCloud Status as has in the past ...and matched items appear over-inflated depending on one's interpretation of that -- while all the tracks I should have remain available everywhere, and things seem to be operating just fine.

Perhaps someone else can explain why I have this difference now. It's puzzling to me why iTunes Match this time has changed it's mind in these three iCloud status categories, but I'm not going to dwell on it or try to change something, as long as things operate as well as the seem to be.

It Just Works

I can't tell you how many times in the past 2 days I've checked various counts in my iTunes library and on my iOS devices to see if "the cloud" has made some unexpected changes. It always has in the past, but there are still no odd changes to my library other than the iCloud Status differences I mentioned above. I've tried all the things I can think of that may trigger problems I've had in the past, but nothing unexpected has happened -- it's just all working and I'm sorry to come across so pessimistic, but I can't believe it. I've waited more than 24 hours. I've tried shutting down/starting up iTunes and my Mac multiple times, rebooting my iOS devices, changing ratings and love tags via iTunes and iOS, changing album name, album artist, artist names, and genre on one or more tracks. I've added a new playlist and changed it's name on both iTunes and iOS. In each case, the data has updated and become available to other devices within moments, and nothing negative has (yet) happened to my carefully curated iTunes Library as has happened so many times before.

Summary

Things can always change as we put our data up into the cloud and rely on someone/something else to be part of it's management. I get that. But, right now, I have a picture postcard version of iTunes Match operating across all my devices, including my new HomePod that can play any of my 26K tracks or playlists with a verbal command -- and as importantly for me -- MY album art and metadata is in-tact the way I have always had it for all of my purchased physical and electronically-downloaded music.

I wish I could say with certainty what I have done to make this work so others could benefit from the precise steps I've gone through. I've documented everything I can in these posts to perhaps assist, but I can only guess that something beneficial happened with my more recently using iTunes Match, turning it off for a few days, having it "Cancelled" and then re-enabling and going back through the process, or Apple has made system changes up in the cloud improving with iTunes Match. IDK. Perhaps someone here has a theory?

If iTunes Match all of a sudden goes nuts on me in the next few days, I'll be sure to update this thread. Good luck to all. When iTunes Match works, it really is awesome! It's pretty terrific being able to access all of my (purchased) music library from all of my devices, including via voice on HomePod.

Feb 2, 2018 10:55 AM in response to Jeff Mierzwa

I spent only perhaps an hour looking for anomalies and trying to figure out if I could live with it or develop workarounds, so with 26K tracks, my observations wont be real scientific. 😉 My impression is though, nothing was blatantly an error, e.g. no tracks were discarded, but a lot of what was changed simply wasn’t done in proper Album context (match is at a track level). The problem gets exacerbated when match for whatever reason only matches and changes some tagging on only a few tracks in a single album. It wouldn’t be as apparent for people that maybe buy only specific tracks, and don’t have the old LP or CD POV. E.g. having a different album artist name for only some tracks in most albums isn’t generally “right” if we were tagging by hand, or having album titles for different tracks that really are part of the same thing isn’t “right“ either, if you care about sort order or ever want to access all the tracks with a single sort of keyword via automated playlist, search, or Siri voice command. Sure, if all we use is playlists, I suppose one could build even more sophisticated and generic rules to attempt to capture the correct variations, but IMHO that just isn’t practical in most use cases, for most people. As the matching process eventually finalized in my trial, I would have had hundreds or thousands of situations where being able to play my music by genre, album (title), or artist name would have provided incomplete results using most may access method from what my original track tagging is without iTunes Match.

FWIW: I too have used iTunes since the month it first became available for Windows back in the day... then migrated the library to Mac a number of years ago. A couple times over the years I have spent untold hours across many months checking and rebuilding single album art for each track, ensuring album naming is consistent (esp Theatre and Performing Arts), and fixing Album Artist and how multiple Artist names are represented throughout my library. It’s benefited me greatly now being able to have a few handfuls of playlists, than I can put on random, and enjoy similar music wherever I may be, while still being able to get to everything by a single artist or to listen to a whole album in sequence. If you’ve done the same sort of curation, and have a relatively large library of various genre, I caution you from attempting enablement of iTunes Match unless you have the time and like to experiment. Just be sure you have a complete backup before you begin. Good luck.

Feb 13, 2018 12:38 PM in response to Jeff Mierzwa

Hey Jeff!

I've not noticed any slow-down whatsoever with any sort of add/change/deletions of music, playlists or other media within my library. I am running iTunes for Mac on a quad core 4.0GHz iMac -- but it appears iTunes does not make use of any more than a single core at one time anyway. While Match was underway doing it's uploads of my library (likely doing thousands of ALAC->256AAC conversions for upload), there were times when iTunes became unresponsive and podcasts I had playing would occasionally stutter, but once all that was complete, I've not had an issue playing, changing or modifying playlists, etc., etc. since.

FWIW, after 3-days of near bliss with my new iTunes Match environment, I've given up trying to break what I've got and moved my 1TB of pre-Match music backup files to an external drive just-in-case. Next up for me is to try and completely stop checking if something has mysteriously changed.

3rd Attempt Also a Fail: My Experience Enabling iTunes Match 2-2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.