Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Received an email about resetting my Apple ID password at an email not associated with my AppleID

I received an email today from Apple [appleid@id.apple.com] stating that I recently requested a password reset for my Apple ID, and included instructions and links for completing the process. However, the email address that the message was sent to is not associated with my Apple ID. If the email address itself is legitimate, how did they get an email address I never provided?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Feb 2, 2018 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2018 12:29 PM

It is a scam.

Apple will always address you by your name or the name they have on file for you and the e-mail will be from @apple.com.

Avoid phishing emails, fake ‘virus‘ alerts, phony support calls, and other scams

Identifying legitimate emails from the iTunes Store

Send the e-mail to Apple as an attachment to a new e-mail before deleting it.

reportphishing@apple.com

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2018 12:29 PM in response to michelefromgville

It is a scam.

Apple will always address you by your name or the name they have on file for you and the e-mail will be from @apple.com.

Avoid phishing emails, fake ‘virus‘ alerts, phony support calls, and other scams

Identifying legitimate emails from the iTunes Store

Send the e-mail to Apple as an attachment to a new e-mail before deleting it.

reportphishing@apple.com

Received an email about resetting my Apple ID password at an email not associated with my AppleID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.