Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transferring itunes music to thumb drive

In my new car, there is a place to put a thumb drive. I want to be able to transfer the itunes music I have on my pc to an external thumb drive so I can play music in my car. How do I do this? Thanks so much.

Laptop-OTHER, Windows 10, iTunes version 12.7.3.46

Posted on Feb 3, 2018 3:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2018 4:46 PM

thank you, thank you, thank you, I finally got it because of your last instructions. I can't say how happy I feel right now. You are special, thanks a lot. Now I can play music in my car with the USB drive.

17 replies

Mar 7, 2018 4:45 PM in response to ckuan

ckuan,

I want to tell you something. A friend of mine was having the same problem and she got in touch with Apple Itunes support. She was told by an Apple technician that she could not copy or move songs in Itunes that were paid for and downloaded to a PC to a thumb drive or USB. Can you believe this? Is there something now in the latest Itunes download that will not let her copy songs? I told her that I have done this a few times now with your help. I play the USB songs in my car every single day. I would love to hear what you have to say about this. Will you kindly answer back? Thanks so much.

Clorey71

Mar 12, 2018 12:32 PM in response to nghiafrombranford

You are following the iTunes for Windows community. Click the link, then near the top right click the grey button that reads Following so that it changes to Follow, or on an iPhone click the green text that says Following community so it changes to Follow community in blue. Use the same kind of links to stop following this thread too if you wish.

Alternatively open your user preferences page, turn off Content I'm following, then scroll down and hit Save. If that control is already off, turn it on, save, then turn it off again.

tt2

Feb 3, 2018 3:24 PM in response to ckuan

Hi there, thank you so much for answering so quickly. I don't have Apple Music. I buy songs from the Apple store and download them to a playlist in iTunes. I play the songs on my pc laptop, but I want to be able to play them in my car. Please give me explicit instructions as to how to do this as I do not see EXPORT anywhere on iTunes. How do I export the songs? Do I have to highlight them first and then what? Thanks so much.

Feb 4, 2018 2:45 PM in response to Clorey71

Do it slowly to get the feel. Follow the steps below.

In iTunes, select Music in the top left drop down, in the left sidebar select Songs.

Now select a song in iTunes (make sure it's marked), right click the marked song and choose Copy.

To make it simple, select your desktop then right click and choose Paste.

You should see a file (the selected song) on your desktop, you can copy/move the file wherever you want.

Mar 12, 2018 7:42 AM in response to ckuan

We have gone through this before. You have shown me how to transfer iTunes music to a thumb drive and I have done it a few times now. This is not a subscription to Apple Music, it is music paid for and downloaded from the iTunes store. Does this make a difference or not? I have music from iTunes on my PC that I paid for and downloaded and transferred to a USB thumb drive. Please explain to me what you mean exactly. Thanks a lot

Mar 12, 2018 12:50 PM in response to Clorey71

As noted you can use copy & paste or drag & drop to copy music from the iTunes library to a folder elsewhere on your computer such as a thumb drive. It won't work with protected media, or if it does that media won't play outside of the Apple ecosystem, and it won't work if the tracks are in the cloud. It is quite possible that the Apple support person your friend spoke to was unfamiliar with this relatively obscure feature of iTunes, they cannot know everything. You know how it works now and can explain it to your friend. 🙂

tt2

transferring itunes music to thumb drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.