You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Range of airpods

My question is: How far from the charging case can one be with airpods in your ears and still get sound from Iphone? So if I am at the gym do I need to carry my gym bag around with the case in it? Or can I leave the case in my locker downstairs?

iPhone 4S, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Feb 3, 2018 9:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2018 10:02 PM

When using your AirPods, the distance from the charging case is irrelevant. There is no requirement to be near the case at all.

However, the AIrPods must be close enough to the iPhone (or source of whatever it is playing) that a Bluetooth connection can be established and maintained. Typically this distance is roughly forty feet or so.

Use your AirPods - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 3, 2018 10:02 PM in response to janet159

When using your AirPods, the distance from the charging case is irrelevant. There is no requirement to be near the case at all.

However, the AIrPods must be close enough to the iPhone (or source of whatever it is playing) that a Bluetooth connection can be established and maintained. Typically this distance is roughly forty feet or so.

Use your AirPods - Apple Support

Feb 3, 2018 10:00 PM in response to janet159

I believe you're asking the wrong question. The Airpods case is for charging and safe keeping when not being worn. The connection between Airpods is Bluetooth, between the pods and iPhone. So, you do not need to have the charging case near the pods at all. But you do need to have the phone within range, which from what I've read with the W1 chip in the headphones, the range should be from 33 - 50 feet.

Range of airpods

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.