Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can other family members see my photo on iCloud if we have a Family Sharing Plan?

I have set up a family sharing storage plan and i have icloud photos enabled. This means all the photo i take or store on my phone are automatically uploaded to my icloud drive. Can other family members who are on the same plan see my photos?

Posted on Feb 4, 2018 12:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2018 12:01 PM

iCloud Photo Sharing is all Apple has to offer to share photos, but it has many draw backs. It is fine to show off the best photos in shared albums and to transfer them easily, but it it is horribly inadequate to share a joint Photos Library between family members.

• We cannot sort the photos in the shared albums.
  • The number of photos and albums is listed.
  • And worst of all, most metadata will be lost, when we add photos to a shared album and the quality will be reduced,

When shared, photos taken with standard point-and-shoot cameras, SLR cameras, or iOS devices have up to 2048 pixels on the long edge. Panoramic photos can be up to 5400 pixels wide.

Shared albums cannot be used to transfer photos to a joint family photos library, unless we want to sacrifice image and video quality and metadata.

Even with shared iCloud Storage planes, the only supported way to share a Photos Library is still the sneaker drive: Sharing photo libraries among multiple users - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2018 12:01 PM in response to Eric Root

iCloud Photo Sharing is all Apple has to offer to share photos, but it has many draw backs. It is fine to show off the best photos in shared albums and to transfer them easily, but it it is horribly inadequate to share a joint Photos Library between family members.

• We cannot sort the photos in the shared albums.
  • The number of photos and albums is listed.
  • And worst of all, most metadata will be lost, when we add photos to a shared album and the quality will be reduced,

When shared, photos taken with standard point-and-shoot cameras, SLR cameras, or iOS devices have up to 2048 pixels on the long edge. Panoramic photos can be up to 5400 pixels wide.

Shared albums cannot be used to transfer photos to a joint family photos library, unless we want to sacrifice image and video quality and metadata.

Even with shared iCloud Storage planes, the only supported way to share a Photos Library is still the sneaker drive: Sharing photo libraries among multiple users - Apple Support

Can other family members see my photo on iCloud if we have a Family Sharing Plan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.